Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Quickly Adding Fields to Layouts

by Employee on ‎05-27-2010 08:52 AM (2,515 Views)

A partner recently asked me why he couldn’t easily add a bunch of fields to a layout in the ACT! layout designer.   I went back to look, you absolutely can!

1. First, drop a field on the layout (either by dragging the Field tool onto the layout or drawing a field on a layout after selecting the Field tool).
  2. The Select Field screen will pop up.  You’ll notice that you can only pick one field in the list of available fields.
  3. Now Control-Click the fields list instead.  You’ll notice you can select as many fields as you like!   Also, if you keep ‘Include a label’ checked, labels will come along for the ride.

If you have heavily formatted fields, and you want to copy them, you can take a different approach.  Select fields and labels on the layout, copy (Control-C) them, and paste (Control-V) them wherever you like.  You’ll need to change the label text and field value via the properties window (F4) but you won’t have to redo any of the formatting.

Enjoy!

Comments
by CEC
on ‎09-07-2010 03:33 AM

Xavier wrote: "if you have heavily formatted fields, and you want to copy them, you can take a different approach.  Select fields and labels on the layout, copy (Control-C) them, and paste (Control-V) them wherever you like.  You’ll need to change the label text and field value via the properties window (F4) but you won’t have to redo any of the formatting."

I have copied and pasted a field that I need to replicate several times, but I can NOT rename the field in layout mode. When I get out of layout, and go to tools, define fields, there is only one version of the field. The copies that are on the layout do not show as new seperate fields, so I can't rename them and have copies. I can rename the one original field, but then all of the copies in layout have the new name as well.

Any way to copy a field multiple times, keep all of its properties intact, and simply rename the copies to create unique fields?

by
on ‎09-07-2010 08:08 AM

Hello CEC,

While you can copy a field on the layout, you cannot change the name or characteristics of the field. That can only be done from the Define Fields dialog. You must also go through Define Fields to create a new field...this can be done through the Layout Designer by clicking New Field when adding a field, or from the main ACT! screen under the Tools menu.

Labels