Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

National High Five Day: A brief history of the gesture #HighFive

by Employee on ‎04-17-2014 02:20 PM (11,776 Views)

Recently during an afternoon conversation with a co-worker, it was brought to my attention that the “high-five” and to act of giving them actually has it’s own day of national recognition, April 17th. Learning of this awesome holiday sparked a curiosity with in me that led me to wanting to learn more about the art of high fiving that I seem to be taking for granted. These were a few of my discoveries….

The act of high-fiving is a modern era gesture. I had just assumed people have been high-fiving forever, it just seems so natural, but this isn’t so. While there is debate as to whom started it, the high five really was not commonly seen it seems until certain athletes started using it as a celebration sometime around 1977-78. It is important to note that the high five developed from the “low five”, which had been made popular in the early 20th century American jazz scene.

Since its inception though, the high five has revolutionized the way Americans celebrate especially in the sports world. In fact, some psychological studies have even showed that gestures like the high five helps to increase bonding between teammates.

So back in 2002, some University of Virginia students started observing National High Five Day, which has developed into a hive five-a-thon that raises money for cancer research. Its popularity grows each year, as newbie’s like me continue to learn about it. So now that you know, how do you plan on spending your high-five day?

Just remember, the world of high-five variations can be as vast as your own creativity. Here are a few suggestions to ensure you “high-five” in style!

Labels