Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Life Lessons & Timeless Principles

by Employee on ‎08-11-2010 10:08 AM (1,030 Views)

I’ve always been a fan of success. Let’s face it, we never outgrow this. Whether we are giving our latest sales forecast, delivering a key presentation, or watching our son’s high school football game. We all want to win! No one knew winning better than former UCLA basketball coach John Wooden. I can remember his team reeling off an amazing 88 consecutive wins and claiming a total of ten national championships. Wooden amassed an incredible record of 664 wins and 162 losses coaching at UCLA.

With his recent passing, not only was a legend lost, but a man who built character and had success like no one ever in his trade. Fortunately for us, Wooden left behind some amazing teachings; lessons that can be applied to sports, business and life. His “Pyramid of Success” was a trademark of timeless principles that would do us all well to emulate. Below are the basics of this pyramid. I encourage anyone who finds this beneficial to visit www.coachwooden.com to get more access to his teachings and writing.

Industriousness: “Success travels in the company of very hard work. There is no trick, no easy way.”

Friendship: “Try to build a team with camaraderie and respect: comrades in arms.”

Loyalty: “Be true to yourself. Be true to those you lead.”

Cooperation: “Have utmost concern for what is right, not who is right.”

Enthusiasm: “Your energy and enjoyment drive and dedication will stimulate and greatly inspire others.”

Self Control: “Control of your organization begins with control of yourself. Be disciplined.”

Alertness: “Constantly be aware and observing. Always seek to improve yourself and your team.”

Initiative: “Make a decision! Failure to act is often the biggest failure of all.”

Intentness: “Stay the course. When thwarted try again; harder, smarter. Persevere relentlessly.”

Condition: “Ability may get you to the top, but character keeps you there – mental, moral and physical.”

Skill: “What a leader learns after you’ve learned it all counts most of all.”

Team Spirit: “The star of the team is the team. We supercedes me.”

Poise: “Be yourself. Don’t be thrown off by events either good or bad.”

Confidence: “The strongest steel is well founded self-belief. It is earned, not given.”

Competitive Greatness: “Perform at your best when your best is required. Your best is required each day.”

Labels