Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Jack of All Trades, Master of None vs. Master of One

by jeffreygregorec on ‎05-19-2009 02:07 PM (3,617 Views)

Should a sales team target a vertical market or target the mass market?  When a sales team is focused on one vertical, that pool becomes smaller by definition and as more players enter the said pool it becomes proliferated with the same kinds of players.  Thus creating stagnation of the market and a one trick sales pony.   While casting a larger net and spreading the behaviors of new client development over 3-4 behavioral disciplines within a larger mass market a sales team is more focused and has safety nets built in for consistent growth of new business.  When one technique slows, the other picks up the pace.  Plus, the mindset of the sales team solidifies in scope and is limited in bandwidth when seated in just one vertical.  Being open to targeting or casting a larger net, sales teams do not get pigeonholed into being a Master of None.

Comments
by pfernald@atlanticdatabase.com
on ‎06-16-2009 02:59 PM

As an ACT consulant I try to do so many things and it is challending to maintain focus to maintain and grow the business.  Don't want to be too narrowly focused but then I can think way to big at times as well. 

I like to say to my customers let's walk before we run, but get ready because I'm going to show you some things!  For myself identifying a few verticals to focus on has helped quite alot and I'm gearing accordingly.

I'm still amazed at how much time prospects will spend of their own time tyring to figure things out for themselves or jumping onto another bandwagon and drinking the KoolAid.  They cost alot more and yes do more, but what do you really need to do, how much money do you have, and yes it will take longer to implement.

ACT is still the best Sales Automation Tool out there and with Swiftpage and TopLine and all the add-ons and some talent to back it up, geez that's saying alot!  Now the trick is to get the prospect to pay attention and build awareness.  I know enough to have a pretty intelligent conversation from sales to marketing and technology.  I think it's really about fit and goals.

One person suggested to me if you want to increase sales 10% and you have a $5M revenue line, then what's it worth it to you to make the other $500K?  Further, specifically what do you need to do to accomplish this goal -- Sales Automation or Workflow to tie in other areas of the business (i.e. Marketing, Customer Service, Operations).

The more you want the more it will cost.  So this brings me back to your point about, Jack of all trades master of none or master of one.  If it all starts in Sales then let's nail that down real well before we start talking about integrating other parts of the business.  Oh yeah and you'll have to get out your check book as it will be at least twice as expensive to implement CRM over ACT.

Don't get me wrong, there is room for both obviously and alot of companies have both, typically ACT whlie they wait on their new CRM system to be implemented.  It depends on how cohesive an organization is, it they have buy in from the top, the expertise to make it happen and a dedication to customization and training until they get it right and ensure folks use the system. 

Oh yeah and the check book.  Many have said before me as the price tag goes up so does the risk!

Labels