Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

It’s Dangerous to Go Alone!

by esibuma on ‎10-09-2013 09:18 AM (2,069 Views)

In case you haven’t figured it out yet, the Customer Experience means a lot to me.  If you were to walk into my office, you’d see a diagram similar to the image below on my whiteboard.  Any time someone comes into my office, it usually gets referenced in whatever discussion we’re having.  No matter what functional area a visitor is from – sales, marketing, support, service, web, billing, development, IS, etc. – the diagram gets referenced so we take into account the entire journey and can make better decisions to take care of our ecosystem.  Whatever decisions we make, we need to ensure we consider potential upstream and downstream effects, whether intended or not.  If we don’t consider the entire journey, we’ll likely end up making decisions that may “fix” the immediate issue but doesn’t fix the root cause of the problem, or doesn’t address the customer’s need at that stage of the journey.  What’s worse is that we may solve for a problem but create new problems somewhere else in the ecosystem.

You’ll notice that even though a customer may have made a successful step in their journey, it doesn’t necessarily guarantee the customer completes the journey.  It’s like the customer is a climbing a mountain; if they take a step and it feels right, they’ll take another.  If it doesn’t feel right, then they’ll back down or choose a different mountain to climb altogether.  It’s not worth the risk because one missed step could mean disaster. 

customerjourney.png

Every person in your business has a part to play in the customer journey: from the front desk receptionist, to the accountants, to the CEO – everyone.  This is a fundamental principle that people in your organization must understand and embrace.  Once this is understood, your team can begin its own journey.  A wise old man once told me, “it’s dangerous to go alone!”

One team.  One journey. (Whoa.  THAT just happened.  Did you see what I did there?)

Tune in next time when I’ll dive into customer touch-points and data collection!

Labels