Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Here's to no New Year's resolutions in Marketing

by nmerrett on ‎01-12-2010 09:15 AM (641 Views)

I’m not going to do any New Year’s resolutions this year. I get frustrated if I end up disappointing myself and wish I’d never done it in the first place. So I guess my resolution this year is not to make any resolutions.

That said, there are a few things I’m thinking about for areas of focus to try to make our marketing efforts better this year.

Simplification. In so many ways … continue to simplify our messaging, offers, creative, processes, etc. Man, oh man, does that get us a long way. And in the interest of simplification, 'nough said on that subject.

Testing. With more ways to measure it, and more ideas to try, this is a perfect area to help us look at what’s working and what’s not. We’ve been doing small things like color of buttons within e-mails, text links versus graphical links, wording of calls-to-action and also bigger things, such as offer and overall messaging and positioning. Here’s to doing more of it and using the results for better and more personalized efforts for our customers.

Not-so-tried-and-true. I’m not saying  everything has to be huge inroads on the innovation front, but I’d like to make iterative changes that move us forward -- one small, but impactful, idea at a time. Initial brainstorming has already given us a few ideas that seem to have true merit. Cool and exciting.

There’re so many more things we’re doing and want to continue like customer data segmentation, frequency analysis, Web site usability, instructional vs ornamental graphics (more on that one in another blog later). But there’s a lot to learn in all of them and in the interest of not making and breaking resolutions, I’m trying to make sure we focus on trying to do a few things really well as opposed to trying to do a zillion and doing them all just mediocrely. So, here’s to focus and no resolutions.

What are you focused on for your marketing efforts in this new year?

Labels