Fast Tip Friday: Syncing Sage ACT! Contacts with Microsoft Outlook #SageACT
bybwhalen_sage12-10-201010:40 AM - edited 12-10-201001:52 PM
If you use Microsoft Outlook for e-mail and
calendar management, you have probably added contacts to Outlook as well. If
you receive an e-mail from somebody or routinely send e-mail to the same
individuals, you may have created contacts in Outlook so that you can quickly
address messages to those recipients. If you also use Sage ACT!, you probably
have contacts that are not in Microsoft Outlook or even some duplicates. If you
do not want to maintain contacts in both applications, then take advantage of
contact sync to get your Sage ACT! and Microsoft Outlook contacts in sync!
After contact sync is established, you can
add/update contacts in either application and they will always have current
contact information. If you do not want Outlook contacts to sync to Sage ACT!,
you can even disable that aspect of contact sync.
To Synchronize Contact Data Between Sage ACT! and Microsoft
1. Open Sage ACT!
2. From the Tools menu, click Preferences.
- Click the E-mail and Outlook Sync tab.
- Click Outlook Synchronization Preferences.
3. In the Database grid, under “Select an ACT!
database to synchronize with Outlook” the name of your database is listed. To
select a different Sage ACT! database to use as your Outlook address book,
- In the Change Sage ACT! Database field, type
the full path and Sage ACT! database name. Or, click Browse to locate
and select the database.
- In the User name field, type your user name
for the selected database.
- In the Password field, type the password for
the user name.
- Click OK.
4. On the Synchronize
Contacts tab, select the Enable Contact
Synchronization with Outlook check box.
5. Select the check boxes of the Sage ACT! sync sets
that contain the contacts you want to synchronize. Sync sets are predefined or
user-defined lookups that determine which contacts should be selected from Sage
ACT! and subsequently synchronized with Microsoft Outlook. Several predefined
sync sets already exist such as the “Recently added contacts” sync set which
locates any contacts added to Sage ACT! within the last week and synchronizes
them to Microsoft Outlook.
- After selecting one or
more sync sets, the number of contacts that will be synchronized between Sage
ACT! and Outlook is displayed.
- If you have Administrator or Manager permission,
you may click the Define Sync Sets button and manage
Contact Sync Sets. We’ll cover this in a tip next week!
6. Next, select what to do if the same contact has
been updated in both Sage ACT! and Outlook:
- Select Keep the ACT! contact if you want to
save the changes made in Sage ACT! when there is a conflict.
- Select Keep the Outlook contact if you want
to save the changes made in Outlook when there is a conflict.
7. To add Outlook contacts to Sage ACT! select the Add
Outlook Contacts to Sage ACT! and synchronize changes option. Leaving this
option cleared and having the other options selected will effectively sync Sage
ACT! contacts to Outlook, but not Outlook contacts back to Sage ACT!.
8. Click OK.
The following prompt appears:
9. To synchronize contacts between Sage ACT! Premium
and Outlook immediately, click Yes.
To Manually Synchronize Your Contacts
1. Do one of the following:
- From the Contacts menu, click Synchronize
Contacts with Outlook.
- From the Tools menu, point to Synchronize
with Outlook. Click Synchronize Contacts with Outlook.
-Right-click the ACT! Sync
Service for synchronizing ACT! data with Outlook icon in your system tray
and click Synchronize Contacts with Outlook.