Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Fast Tip Friday: Reassigning Records #SageACT

by bwhalen_sage on ‎08-05-2011 09:15 AM (15,653 Views)

banner Sage UniversitySubmit your Tip

When employees permanently leave your company, you may need to reassign contacts/accounts to another sales person. However, before granting new ownership to the data, Sage ACT! Administrators may want to evaluate the data first. By logging in as the former user, an Administrator can determine how private data should be handled, and then deal with those records that should be transferred to the new owner. This week’s Fast Tip shows you how to locate private data, and subsequently reassign it to a new owner.

Assigning Records to New Users

First, log in as the former employee and lookup all of the Private data exclusively accessible to that user:

• For each view, from the Lookup menu, select Other Fields…

• From the “Field:” drop down box, select Access Level

• Select Equal To (=) from the Operator list

• And type Private in the last drop down box.

• Click OK to execute the search. In the list of results, evaluate whether any records should be removed, or re-assigned.

To reassign records, start by narrowing the record list to only those records you would like to reassign to a new owner:

• For contacts, tag them in the list, and then click the Lookup Selected button. Delete any records you do not wish to reassign.

• For Groups or Companies, delete any unwanted Groups or Companies, leaving only those records you would like to reassign.

After the records to reassign have been located, select Edit > Replace Field

• From the “Replace contents of:” list, select Record Manager

• In the ”Value” box, select the new Record Manager from the list of Sage ACT! Users.

Repeat these steps for each set of records to reassign (Contacts, Groups, or Companies).

After you have completed this task, the new Sage ACT! user will have full control over records for which he/she owns!

Comments
by johns73
4 weeks ago
What about if "Record Manager" is not an option?
by Bronze Super Contributor tmwilli
3 weeks ago

Johns73,

You did notice this is a 6 year old post?

It really is a non-issue these days.

by johns73
3 weeks ago
Hi Permalink, Thank you for the reply. Yes, I did , but at that moment I needed an answer. I've since determined the answer. Since you were kind enough to reply, do you happen to know the best way to re-assign contacts and the associated activities from one user to another user in 2011 Premium? Thanks, John
3 weeks ago

I am not "permalink" I am an ACT Certified Consultant named Terry Williams.

One question always leads to another, so here goes.

Is the User/Owner of the activities still going to be using the database? Or has he/she no longer using ACT?

Do you have access to the database as an administrative user?

Answer those questions and I can advise the best way to resolve your issue.

And, it might be a good time to update ACT. Current version is very functional, Windows 10 compatible, has lots of new features and there is a discount promo going on that older users of ACT.

Let me know if you would like further info!

by johns73
3 weeks ago
Hi Terry, Thank you for the reply. Much appreciated. No, the user is no longer working for us. Yes, I have access as the administrator. I think I know where you're going. I can terminate the user and assign the contacts etc to a new user...correct? But, I might not want to assign all of the contacts to one user. I might want to spread load them among several users. There in lies the rub... We're considering what we want to do with regards to upgrading. One big issue is that SageACT does not make it very easy to export data for use somewhere else. Thank You, John
3 weeks ago

Johns,

I have a few comments on your notes above:

Regarding reassigning contacts: In more recent versions of ACT you can reassign contacts en masse as needed. I would think that making a group for each user who is to manage the reassigned contacts would be the easiest way to sort out the contacts and then reassignment them.

Also there is a limited access feature that will hide contacts not assigned to a specific user that you are probably not aware of but might think as useful.

Regarding the statement, "One big issue is that SageACT does not make it very easy to export data for use somewhere else".  WHY would you think Sage or the current ACT software owner, Swiftpage, would want to assist you in converting your ACT data into a competitive product? That really is not a realistic expectation.

But, if you want to leave ACT for another CRM and need assistance with exporting your data, that is where an ACT Certified Consultant like myself comes in. We have numerous tools to assist with this type of transition. We do that for our clients all the time. We are committed to finding the best solution for our clients needs.

Also, you do realize that you are 7 versions behind the current release of ACT (Version 20)?  In the time since your version of ACT was released (2010), there has been one major Windows release (Windows 10), two major MS Office releases, and a whole host of improvements in ACT features and functionality. It really is not fair to criticize ACT since you have not chosen to upgrade in over 7 years!

I am confident that ACT can meet your current CRM needs. But, you must make the decision to invest the money, time and effort needed for a successful implementation of ACT or any other CRM solution. You cannot buy a product, use it for 7 years and expect it to continue to meet your needs indefinitely without further investment. That is not the way software works-never has... And that is especially true in today's dynamic world of data management solutions.

Finally, ACT is now owned by Swiftpage and has been for almost 5 years. In contrast to Sage, ACT is the ONLY software product that Swiftpage owns and the entire focus of the company is to make ACT a competitive and easy to use solution now and in the future!

BTW, Happy 30th Birthday ACT!  And, THAT is not a claim many CRM solutions can claim. The current CRM players started with ACT as their model and took it from there. Yet, ACT still is alive, ever changing to meet current technology demands, and remains a cost effective solution for most organizations.

If you would like further assistance, please feel free to contact me offline.

Labels