Last week I showed you how to move a database on the same machine using the new Move Database Wizard. However, there may be cases where the database needs to be moved to an entirely different machine. Imagine you purchase a new server and would like to move your current database to the new server. In that case, you will need to follow two separate steps for completing the move. Read this week’s tip to learn how!
Moving a Database to Another Machine
Moving a database to another machine requires a two-step process:
Prepare a move file (zipped archive of your databse).
Then on a new machine, complete the move by extracting the move file contents.
1. Start by clicking File > Move Database > Prepare a Move to Another Computer:
2. Click Next on the Welcome screen, and on the “Move File” screen, click Browse…to select a location to save the packaged file, and name it. After clicking Next, the database and supplemental files are backed up and saved to your Move File.
3. After the Move File is prepared, details are displayed, including the move file name, location to which it was saved, and recommended steps to complete the move.
Completing the Move
1. Assuming you have installed Sage ACT! on the new computer/server, copy the Move File to the new machine.
2. Then, open Sage ACT! on the new computer/server, and click File > Move Database > Complete a Move from Another Computer.
3. Using the wizard:
Browse to the Database Move File.
Browse to, and select the location on the new machine where the database should be restored.
Type the administrator username and password for the database.
4. After the database has been restored, click File > Open. Select/Browse to the database and open it.
5. Finally, follow any additional steps as required based on your scenario. Shared, synchronized, or web hosted databases will require additional steps to ensure remote users are able to access the database in its new location. Please consult the Sage ACT! Help files for more information.