Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Fast Tip Friday: Linking Companies to Contacts for Easy Updates #SageACT

by bwhalen_sage on ‎02-11-2011 12:43 PM - last edited on ‎02-14-2011 11:45 AM by (8,595 Views)

banner Sage University Submit your Tip

As you learned earlier, you may use Sage Business Info Services to update existing Company data in your database. After that data is updated, you can quickly cascade those updates to multiple contact records if they are linked. Linking Contacts and Companies has the following benefits:

• Automatically shares the contact's activities, notes, histories, and opportunities with its linked company.
  • Lets you update the contact record with basic company information when you change company information.

In this week’s tip, you’ll learn how to link one or more Contacts to a Company. Next week, we’ll explore how to push updates and configure which fields are linked.

To link a single contact to a company:

1.  From within Sage ACT!, lookup a Contact.

2.  On the Contact Detail view, click the browse button (...) next to the Company field.

The Link to Company dialog box appears:

3.  From the View list, select Companies or Companies List. The Companies view displays the Companies tree (including divisions) to select from. The Companies List lets you choose to include divisions in the list to select from.

4.  Select the company or division to which the contact should be linked.

5.  Click OK. The Company now displays as a hyperlink that when clicked, will open the Company record.

6.  The linked contact is a static member of the company. Updates to select Company fields can be pushed to all linked contacts and the linked contact's notes, activities, histories, and opportunities will appear in the linked company's tabs.

To Link multiple contacts to a company

1.  Create a lookup of contacts.

2.  From the Contact List, select the contacts. Or, click Tag All.

3.  From the Contacts menu, select Link to Company… 

4.  The Link to Company dialog box appears.

5.  Select the company or division to which the contact should be linked. Click OK.

6.  The linked contacts are static  members of the company. Updates to select Company fields can be pushed to all linked contacts and each linked contact's notes, activities, histories, and opportunities will appear in the linked company's tabs.

Comments
by Copper Super Contributor gknapp
on ‎02-12-2011 08:03 AM

Thank you for this article.  I should point out that the process you describe for linking multiple prospects to a company adds these contacts as "static" contacts and not "linked" contacts.  This is not a minor distinction.  While a static connection may have some benefits, the results of the static association are very different than with a linked contact.

Among the items to be aware of when connecting contacts contacts to a company statically: 1) their company name in contact detail is not hyperlinked so there is no visual clues that they are part of a company, 2) activities and history created on a contact with a static connection to a company are not automatically associated with the company, 3) new opportunities created from these contacts are not automatically associated with the company and 4) edits to linked fields in the company record do not update contacts that are statically connected.   

If the desire is to have all that I described above happen automatically, then the contacts must be "linked" to the company, not connected statically.  This must be done on the Contact Detail screen either by clicking the ellipse box to the right of the Company field, on each record that needs to be linked, or by clicking on the Contact menu, then click on Link Contact to Company. 

Greg Knapp

AspenTech Consulting Group

ACT! Guru since way back when

by bwhalen_sage
on ‎02-14-2011 11:51 AM

Good catch Greg!  You're right, the "Multiple Contacts" section in the original article post does not result in multiple linked contacts and has been updated with the correct steps that do result in multiple contacts being linked to a Company.

by janetetley
on ‎08-19-2012 12:49 PM

I have been checking all contacts and discovered that simply adding a contact and linking it to a company does not mean that all the linked information will automatically link… I thought it was just from the import, but I have come across the contacts we added to TEST COMPANY and the most recent ones (Abigail and Joe Blow) do not show the linked information, even though they were linked to the Company when we added them…

Are we doing something wrong in the way we are adding them? To solve this the only way we can ensure that all the linked fields are updated when we add a contact is by making a small change in one of them , for example the address – we simply add a # in front of the suite – or a space… anything that is an actual change…to trigger the exchange of information in the linked fields.

Surely there must be another way to ensure all the linked information is transferred to the relevant linked fields when we add a contact - right?

by
on ‎08-20-2012 06:30 AM

Hello janetetley,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. When you link an existing contact to a company, the linked fields will not automatically update. Linked fields can be updated using these two methods:

- Change information in the Company for linked fields; you will get a prompt to update linked fields

- Select a Company in the company detail or list view, then from the menu select Companies>Update Linked Contacts

If you want the information for a company to populate a new contact, then select the company from the list and go to Companies>Create Contact from Company

by Joe Heller
on ‎05-09-2014 09:50 AM

When I am under contact detail and follow the steps that you describe I am running into a problem. The browse company button cannot be clicked to actually link the contact to the business. Is there something that I could be missing?

by Thai
on ‎12-06-2016 09:00 PM

Is there a way when adding a new company history that it automatically populates one of the associated contacts for said company?  I would like the linking feature to be automatic, so that if my customer service team handles an account and enters "call" into the company history, that it will be automatically visible to my sales team who mainly work from the contact history.  Thanks in advance.

Labels