Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Fast Tip Friday: Less SQL, More Sage ACT 2011! #SageACT

by bwhalen_sage ‎09-03-2010 08:53 AM - edited ‎09-08-2010 09:42 AM (3,238 Views)

banner Sage UniversitySubmit your Tip
  Sage University

With Sage ACT! 2011, you have a new option to take advantage of during installation! If you plan to have two or more Sage ACT! users, all connected to the same database, and the database is on a separate server, you do not need to install Microsoft SQL Server Express on every computer. This is a welcome change for system administrators that are not comfortable with an installation of Microsoft SQL Server Express on every Sage ACT! workstation, and for those users seeking to maximize system resources on their machine.

However, be aware that SQL Server Express is needed to create or synchronize a database. If you opt to skip the SQL Server Express install and your organization needs to synchronize or cut remote databases, make sure that SQL Server Express is installed on the computer that will host the database.

To install the Sage ACT! program files without Microsoft SQL Server Express:

During installation, you will be presented with two install options:

–      Typical install which installs Sage ACT! 2011 and Microsoft SQL Server Express files to default locations, and uses common settings for other installation options.

–      Custom installation which enables you to choose where to install Sage ACT! 2011 and Microsoft SQL Server Express files, whether or not Microsoft SQL Server Express files are installed, as well as customize other installation options such as whether or not a shortcut is placed on the desktop.

To install Sage ACT! Program Files without Microsoft SQL Express files, select Custom and click Next

On the Destination Folder screen:

-        (OPTIONAL) Under the “Select the folder where Sage ACT! will be installed” section, click the Browse… button and select a new destination folder.

-        Under the “Select the folder where SQL Server Express will be installed” section:

clear the Install SQL Server Express check box
An important notification will appear:

Important Note: Several Sage ACT! 2011 features do not function   

when you install without SQL Server Express such as:

-  Creating/Saving/Restoring databases

-  Database synchronization.

-  Import/Export

-  ACT! Diagnostics Utility (ACTDIAG)

Comments
by mcthomann
on ‎09-04-2010 09:30 AM

I down loaded 2011 and all went well. I started it up this AM and have nothing but error messages.  "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."   UH?  I don't know what it is about ACT, but this has to be the most complex and user unfriendly program I have ever experienced.  Compound that issue with the 2010 start-up book that was sent to me when I ordered the 2011 start-up book when I ordered the upgrade several weeks ago, and my frustrations continue to mount.

Any one else having these issues?

Labels