Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Fast Tip Friday: Integrating with Google Calendar #SageACT

by bwhalen_sage ‎10-07-2011 08:26 AM - edited ‎11-11-2011 08:37 AM (33,968 Views)

banner Sage UniversitySubmit your Tip

With Sage ACT! 2012, you don’t have to check two different places or manage two different calendars for a complete view of your business and personal lives. Sage ACT! works seamlessly with tools like Google Gmail, Contacts, and Calendar, so you can keep all or just a subset of your emails, contacts, and activities updated in both places. In this tip, you’ll learn how to integrate your Sage ACT! and Google Calendar, so you are always aware of upcoming tasks and activities!

Configuring Google Calendar Integration:

After you have verfied the Sage ACT! database you want to integrate with Google is correct, and you have authorized Sage ACT! to access your Google account, you may proceed to configure your integration preferences. For more information regarding authorizing Sage ACT! to access Google, refer to last week's tip: Getting Started with Google Integration.

1. From within Sage ACT!, select Tools > Integrate with Google > Google Integration Preferences.

2. On the “Synchronize Calendar” tab, select the Enable Calendar Synchronization with Google check box. This activates the other options on the tab.

3. After this has been enabled, use the following options to configure the behavior of Google Calendar Integration:

• If the same activity has been updated in both Sage ACT! and Google and a conflict occurs, select which change should be saved (Sage ACT! or Google). By default, the option to Keep the Sage ACT! activity is selected.

• If an activity is cleared (completed) in Sage ACT!, select what should happen to the activity in Google when sync occurs. By default, the option to Delete the activity from the Google calendar is selected. You can change this to leave the activity on your Google calendar.

4. To set or change default calendar sync options, such as selecting the types of Sage ACT! activities and date ranges of scheduled activities to sync, as well as alarms, click Advanced Preferences.

• In the Activity Type list, select or clear the check box for each Sage ACT! activity type that you want to sync or not sync between Sage ACT! and Google. Some activity types are selected by default, but you can clear them.

• Use the Select days on calendar to synchronize drop-downs to determine a past and future time frame of the activities to sync. Activities that occurred in the past will no longer be updated once they are outside of the selected range. Activities that occur in the future will be synchronized once the activity scheduled date is within the future range. You can select from future dates of 7 days up to 2 years.

• Use the Specify where activity alarms will ring drop down to select the application that will display the activity reminder alarm. By default, the alarm is set to ring in both Sage ACT! and Google. The alarm lead time is based on your preference settings for the activity type. For example, if you set a meeting activity type to ring an alarm at 15 minutes before the scheduled time, then it will ring at 15 minutes before the scheduled time in the selected application.

• Click OK.

5. After setting your preferences, click OK again to exit the Google Integration Preferences window. When prompted to Integrate Sage ACT! and Google now, click Yes to start the initial sync.

As you can see, setting up Google Integration only takes a few minutes, and is well worth the time saved because you can look to one location to see all of your personal and business appointments!

Comments
by CCLHSara
‎01-10-2012 01:32 PM - edited ‎01-10-2012 01:36 PM

Unfortunatey, this process has serious bugs.  This is very frustrating because this is one of the greatest reasons we went with Act 2012 for our CRM.  The Google integration creates duplicate activities that continues creating duplicates every time your scheduled sync occurs.  I've had more than 900 repeated activities for a single event before I shut off all synching.  I have read this forum and spent about 9 hours on the phone with tech support, and still no solution.  The safest solution I can think of is to sync emails but not calendar.  

At the very least we would like to remove all the redundant events and activities so that ACT works faster, but there is no way to do this.  If you select and delete multiple activities on your task list, they disappear.  However, they still exist on your own record's Activies tab.  When you highlight multiple activities there and click "Clear Multiple Activities..." it will only delete hundreds of single occurances, but this doesn't chip away at the overall 900 because it does not have an option to clear all occurences of multiple activities. So you have to select EACH ONE, delete, and confirm to delete every occurrence of >900 junk events. GRrrr!  

I just installed service pack 1, hoping the new feature added to Outlook Integration to remove all synched activities would also be added to Google Integration.  Sadly it has not been added.  

My advice: don't use this feature.  It sucks PC/server resources, and slows all of Act since it has so many redundant activities.  And what's even worse, there is not way to delete them once you've made the mistake of trying to use the tool for its intended purpose.  If you're daring, you could try using this feature but NEVER create anything in your calendar or tasks that recurrs.

by gmartin
on ‎01-11-2012 02:09 PM

Hello CCLHSara,

We're sorry to hear you are having this issue with duplicated activities.  I'm trying to reproduce this issue so that we can determine what is causing it and have it addressed.  Could you provide some additional information about what you are seeing with the duplicated activities?

- Verify: is it only happening with recurring activities?

- Are these activities created within ACT! or Google?

- Are these activities scheduled with a single or multiple contacts?  Or does it affect both single and multiple contact activities?

- Are you synchronizing Google with any other program or device (ex: smartphone)?  If yes, what is the program or device?

- Does each occurrance of the activity show on the Calendar view, but only once on the Task List? 

Or are you seeing 900 occurrances of an activity for a specific date/time on both the Calendar and Task List?

- Is your ACT! database a 'remote' database?  Does it synchronize back to a main database...

- If the ACT! database also synchronizes with a main database, does that main database also sync to Google?  (specifically to the same Google account) 

- Do you also synchronize your ACT! database with Outlook?

- I was unable to locate the notes of your contact with the support group, can you provide the case or account number so that I can research what has been done?  If you provide this information, please do so through a Private Message (click on my community name and select the Private Message option in the right hand column).

Thank you for your assistance.

by imoneycoach
on ‎01-25-2012 01:03 PM

I had the same problem with duplicate activities.Since ACT! 2012 only supports 1 Google account per database, we set up 2 remote databases and had each of those sync to Google and then sync to the main database.

When we did this, we suddenly had 400 extra contacts in the main ACT database and then about 5 minutes later had 400 less than when we started! I had to revert back to a backup copy and shut off all incoming syncs on the main database until I can figure this out.

Another problem was that the sync with Google took nearly an hour. I thought this was a fluke, but I today I set up another remote database to test, and that sync has been running for over half an hour and is still going (we have about 3400 contacts). We bought the upgrade to ACT! 2012 mostly for this Google function but have been disappointed first that it only allows one Google account to sync with a database and second that it has caused a lot of problems and wasted time instead of working right.

Has anyone else had these problems or know of any solutions??

by Loz
on ‎08-11-2014 06:18 AM

Hi,

Why is it that when I sync my calendar with google, it keeps making Monday - Friday schedule run from Tuesday - Saturday in google calendar??

by steve thomas
on ‎11-16-2014 07:21 AM

My problem is something similar. I sync my Google calendar with my girlfriends google. Unfortunately when I went to sync act to my google, it took her work schedule (she is a nurse, hence very busy = lots of monthly entries) of a given month, and populated it out to every month to (i'm guessing) infinity. I checked out to the end of 2031 and got tired of checking.

I have reverted to a backup, but now the backup will not talk to google at all. Major inconvenience because my smart phone looks to google contacts to populate the phone. Now I have lost all of my phone contacts.

If anyone has any ideas.... i would love to hear them. I have been usiing Act since 1984, and as I say it really is a program I love to hate. It's a great database (wish I could find another program to switch to that is as easy to setup and run as act) but, when it fails (which is usually often, it fails big. In all the years, I cen't begin to tell you how many total losses I have had because of an Act feature that was supposed to work, but really ended up screwing the pooch. It really doesn't matter who OWNS act, the performance a;wys falls short.

by Karen54
on ‎11-17-2014 05:29 PM

I just encountered a problem today with ACT PRO2012 (fully updated with hotfix 7) where I can't sync with my google calendar.  But, Gmail and google contacts sync fine.  Does anyone know if this has something to do with the Google discontiuing its Google Sync?

http://www.macworld.com/article/2022321/what-the-end-of-google-sync-means-to-you.html

This is a real problem, because I count on my google calendar to keep me updated via iphone or web - but use ACT to keep track of my appointments.  I want the ability to sync!  Any help out there?

by Craig John
on ‎12-01-2014 10:34 AM

I have been using ACT since the last 1980s myself (over 8600 contacts), and have full nitegrated my counseling business from act to google to my phone... and this month the google calendar has stopped synchronizing, and a note in the act knowledgebase says this is caused by a change in the google calendar api, but no solution and/or date for a solution has been given.

Dyin' on the vine here...

Anyone have any information?  Or possibly a work around?

Thanks,

Craig

by johnmars
on ‎12-01-2014 10:47 AM

Craig,

Companionlink has a work around product:  http://www.companionlink.com

John

by John Bailes
on ‎04-28-2015 07:56 PM

I have had the saqme problem with repeat dates bouncing back from google calendar to my act calendar: frustrating.

Now I cannot even get the act calendar to inegrate. It keeps telling me I have open the google calendar at least oncebeofre integration can occur. Needless to say I have opened google calendar countless times after wasting five hours with tech support as well trying to work this out. I've stayed with act for eternity and built a databaase. Now it looks like it is time to put it on the junk heap as soon as I figure out how fowload the databasae...looks like a dinosaur to me.

by Bronze Super Contributor dshaw111
on ‎04-28-2015 11:44 PM

John - Have you updated to the latest Act! v16/v17?  This is supposed to be fixed with these updates.

by Adam Oas
2 weeks ago

I'm suffering a serious setback because of this 'feature' and hoping that someone can set me straight.

I would really like to schedule tasks for myself inside of ACT (latest and greatest as of a week ago).  Things like a reminder to call a lead in a few days, or a to-do that involves a customer, but is an internal-only job (eg. schedule the configuration a server).  I would very much like to have all of this information captured in ACT! but our company has been using Google Calendars for years.

The issue is that every call/meeting/todo that gets added to my ACT calendar, that is now syncing with my Google calendar also automatically sends the contact a notification of that event!   This is a big issue as I need to have that item on the calendar, but don't want to inform the client of every little action that I perform and have scheduled for myself in ACT.

I do NOT have the checkbox for "Sent invitation email' checked inside of ACT's "Schedule Activity" dialog window.  The issue is how ACT hands the data off to Google and how Google automatically assumes that since there are people, with email addresses attached to the calendar event, that they all need to be notified.  I cannot find a setting in Google that will disallow or stop this.  Even if it were feasible to stop all email activity outbound from a calendar in Google that would allow me to set up a new calendar, but I cannot seem to find a setting in Google to stop it from doing that either. 

This effectively kills the overall usefulness of ACT for me as I cannot schedule things in the calendar that I have no choice but to use, that attaches the information to a customer without informing the customer of that action. 

Labels