As you learned last week, drop down lists are a great way to manage data entry, and encourage users to properly input data while minimizing effort! Some drop-down lists may contain codes that identify a Country, product, service, or other piece of data, and are not entirely intuitive to users. You can apply this week’s tip to display additional details in drop-down lists, so users may confidently select correct list items as they enter data in the database.
Configuring Drop Down Lists to Display Details
When defining fields, you have an option to select a drop down list as the source for data entry. You also have the option to hide/display additional details for each line item in the list.
To display list item details:
1. Open Tools > Define Fields.
2. Select an existing field that uses a drop-down list.
3. Under Field Tasks, click Edit Field.
4. On the “Enter field name and type” page, click Next.
5. On the “Customize field list and behavior” page.
Select Show Descriptions to display the Description column from the drop-down list.
6. Click Finish to apply the change, and then close the Define Fields tool.
7. Locate the drop-down list on your layout, and verify the new descriptions appear!