Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Fast Tip Friday: Customizing Menus & Toolbars in ACT! by Sage 2010 -- #actFTF #act2010

by on ‎02-12-2010 08:24 AM (1,552 Views)

Seriously, is it Friday already?!

Our Fast Tip this week is all about customizing menus and toolbars.  Find out how to modify the view toolbar by adding or re-arranging your favorite tools, or remove tools that you rarely use.  You can even create your own custom toolbars.

I hope you enjoy the Fast Tip, and your weekend!

If there is a topic you'd like us to cover in future Fast Tips, please comment!

Thanks,

Tawny

Comments
by firstplan
on ‎05-14-2010 07:22 AM

I read that toolbar customizations don't sync.  How to distribute a company standard, customized toolbar to 40 remote users?

Thanks - Mike 

by
on ‎05-14-2010 01:43 PM

Hello Mike,

It's true that toolbar customizations do not sync as they are not part of the database, but rather part of the user's personal preferences, which are specific to the installation of ACT! on their machine. In order to copy over this customization, you would need to distribute the preferences files from the machine with the desired toolbar to all users. This location of this folder is:

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Application Data\ACT\Act for Windows (version#)

Windows Vista/Windows 7: C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\ACT\Act for Windows (version#)

It's the "Act for Windows (version#)" folder they will need. The users will need to replace the folder they have with the one that has the customization. A couple of important points:

- In order for the users to delete their version of the folder, they will need to close ACT! and all MS Office applications. In addition, they will need to open the Task Manager, go under the Processes tab and end the Act.Outlook.Service.exe process. After they have replaced the folder, they can restart that service by browsing to C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows and double-clicking the "Act.Outlook.Service.exe" file in there.

- Replacing their folder with custom folder will not only change their toolbar, but all other in-program preferences. If they have set up custom views, commands, and preferences, these will be replaced as well.

Please let me know if you have any questions regarding this process.

Labels