Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Fast Tip Friday: Automate Scheduling with an Activity Series #SageACT

by bwhalen_sage ‎04-22-2011 08:22 AM - edited ‎04-22-2011 08:24 AM (1,663 Views)

banner Sage UniversitySubmit your Tip

For many of us, we experience a bit of déjà vu as we schedule the same series of activities for new clients, or as part of product/service fulfillment. For example, if you routinely perform software upgrades for clients, you may need to first contact the client alerting them to a new version of software, inventory existing systems, order software, schedule the upgrade, perform the upgrade and then follow up to ensure your client is satisfied. This series of activities can be applied to multiple clients and would be a pain to re-create every time a client was in need of an upgrade. Sage ACT! provides a couple mechanisms for automating the creation of tasks associated with routine operations:

• Activity Series
  • Smart Tasks (Sage ACT! 2011 and up)

This week we’ll explore Activity Series, and in the coming weeks, look at the differences between Activity Series and Smart Tasks, as well as learn how to create Smart Tasks.

Creating an Activity Series:

1. In Sage ACT!, click Schedule > Manage > Activity Series Templates…

2. In the Activity Series Template Creation Wizard, select Create a new activity series, and then click Next

3. Name the Activity Series and specify whether it should be Public (available to all Sage ACT! users) or Private (available only to you), and then click Next.

4. On the next screen, click the Add button to begin adding each step in the series:

5. In the Add Activity window, specify:

• The Activity Type (call, meeting, to-do, etc.)
  • When the activity Starts. Activities can be scheduled on, before or after an anchor date. The anchor date is usually the most significant event in the series, such as the actual date of a product release, the end of a quarter. For example, you may want to schedule a software upgrade task “2 weeks Before Anchor Date”, where the anchor date is the actual release of the software.
  • Describe the activity using the Regarding field.
  • Select a Priority, corresponding Color, and lead time for an Alarm.
  • If the activity falls on a non-working day, such as a weekend, you can optionally select to have the activity scheduled the next work day.

• Use the Schedule For option to schedule the activity for another user in your database. This will effectively add the activity to that user’s calendar:

6. After you have specified the activity settings, click OK to return to the Activity Template Creation window and continue to add steps as required until you have created a series of activities.

7. Click Finish and you will be prompted to schedule the activity now or later.

8. When an activity series is scheduled, all steps in the series are added to the calendar.

Comments
by Anthea Forder
on ‎12-19-2013 03:02 AM

I am using ACT v14 Premium. 

I designed an activity series template for the partners of the company to quickly plan their AFS. I requested that they start by changing the name of the template then setting it to private so that junior staff members won't be able to make changes. They then editted each step in the series, assigning staff and deleting steps they don't need for that particular client. Once they had finished editting in (schedule - manage - activity series template- edit existing) I asked them to find the client in a look up and then click on schedule and activity series to add an anchor date but they couldn't see their edited activity series. These are visible on my computer but not theirs. Does this have something to do with the private setting? I assumed that if they had scheduled it that it would be private to them but not other... it seems that setting it to private has allowed only me (the ACT admin) access to these. Surely they should not only be able to view but also edit these templates because they are the owners of the series? Setting it to public puts the company at risk, if something is changed in the series then important tasks may not be done and this may lead to the loss of a client, which could mean a great deal of money for my company. 

Please help me solve this problem... or even just understand it? 

Many thanks

Labels