Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Content Marketing vs. Grandma Margaret

by Employee on ‎03-21-2011 09:54 AM (499 Views)

I recently received a ‘lecture’ from my Grandmother (a very sweet one, as only a beloved 88-yr-old grandmother can deliver) about how “people these days don’t know how to communicate with each other” like they did in the “old days.”  She talked about how people use these “darn computers” to talk to each other instead of connecting with people face to face, how families don’t sit down to dinner anymore, and so on.  I’m sure many of you have had a similar experience.  If you’re like me, you can only smile to yourself and wonder if you will deliver a similar speech 10, 20, or 50 years from now to your children and grandchildren.

Fast forward a few days to when a colleague of mine forwarded me a link to this very interesting document produced by Junta42, a company who runs a self-described Content Marketing Community (www.junta42.com).  In this document, the vendor profiles 42 communication vehicles companies can use to connect with their prospects and customers – ranging from the traditional (white paper, book, print ads) to the very contemporary (eLearning, Wiki, custom social network, microblogging).

The vendor describes ‘Content Marketing’ as “the art of understanding exactly what your customers need to know and delivering it to them in a relevant and compelling way.”  What could be more important, especially considering the current business climate?   

So in trying to reconcile what my grandmother was telling me with what I was reading, I resisted the urge to over-intellectualize the issue, as I think there is great wisdom in both.  As marketers, we do need to leverage the reach and efficiency that the wealth of new marketing mediums and communication vehicles provides, but no matter how much technology advances, there will always be a place and need for human to human connection, in our personal lives and in our business endeavors.  So on behalf of Grandma Margaret, I respectfully suggest a #43.

Comments
by Copper Elite Contributor
on ‎03-23-2011 12:02 PM

Hi Joe,

Just in case your grandmother decides she wants to learn about computers, I want to let you know about my website www.teachanolddognewtricks.com which offers free computer training to anyone that wants it.

In addition, please make sure your grandmother knows that I am in no way calling her an old dog and I'd be more than happy to have a cup of tea with her anytime she so desires.  Thanks.

Labels