Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Are you looking for a quick solution?

by kevin_durio ‎03-18-2009 02:12 PM - edited ‎03-18-2009 02:44 PM (6,868 Views)

Our ACT! by Sage knowledgebase provides self-service solutions to a number of frequently asked questions and product tips.  Our knowledgebase for ACT! by Sage 2009 includes over 500 solutions with a growing list of new topics.  Each knowledge solution provides easy to follow instructions with progressive screen capture to help validate that you're on the right path to solving your issue.

A dedicated knowledgebase management team with years of ACT! product experience works each day to enhance and add content that can quickly provide solutions on-demand.  Their creative approach to topic idea generation is based on a wide variety of sources including key word searches, support call drivers, product enhancements, and discussion threads from the ACT! Community product forums.

Our focus on continued knowledge delivery is for you, therefore we need your feedback to continue to enhance the solutions we provide!  At the bottom of each knowledge solution the team solicits your feedback.  Please take a few minutes to let us know how we are doing by rating the knowledge solutions you review.

ACT!_KB_Feedback

One you have selected a rating you will also have an opportunity to submit commits or suggest an additional topic that you did not find in the knowledgebase.  All feedback is routed to our ACT! knowledgebase management team who reads each comment and applies your feedback toward the creation of new solutions.  Your voice is heard......please share your feedback!

Have you used the ACT! by Sage knowledgebase to solve a problem or learn a new feature?

Message Edited by kevin_durio on 03-18-2009 05:44 PM

Comments
by
on ‎03-19-2009 04:23 AM
As someone who probably uses the knowledge base more than most, I must say I've really noticed (and appreciated) that the guys (especially Greig Hollister) have started listening to the Submit Rating messages over the past 6-12 months and have actually been responding and updating the articles with suggested improvements.

There are still a couple of areas that could be improved:
1. A lot of the ACT! 6 articles still refer to the old itDomino links
2. There are still a lot of links in the KB that refer to articles that require a login that users can't access
3. When you submit a rating, you get an email with a link to add more information... it doesn't work as it requires a login that users can't access
4. The search engine needs improving - a lot of the time, I can find answers that users and ACCs have not been able to, simply because I've figured out some of the tricks.
5. An RSS feed with New/Updated  articles that consultants and administrators could subscribe to would be REALLY useful

Regards,
Mike Lazarus
ACT! Evangelist
by kevin_durio
on ‎03-19-2009 06:51 AM

Mike, thanks for sharing your experience with the knowledgebase!

We focus most of our energy on creating new & updated content for supported products.  However, I agree that we need to remove or fix broken links.    Unfortunately, they are hard to find without reviewing & trying each of the links embedded in +1,800 documents.  We will take a closer look at this project in the next few weeks.  In the short term, if you run across a broken link please continue to submit reminders through rating comments.

Your additional suggestions will be considered as we continue our journey toward improved knowledgebase solutions for ACT!.

Kevin

by
on ‎03-19-2009 07:09 AM

I'm much to lazy to suggest that much manual work :-)

Depending on the back-end data store, it should be reletively simple to create some code to check the articles for broken links and links requiring a logon. This could then be run regularly and generate a report for management.

After the first run and updates, it shouldn't generate many errors going forward... but would be usful when domains change or updates/downloads are moved or Articles  removed as part of updates

Another idea that should be easy to implement and was really useful in the old itdomino KB was making the Article ID a hyperlink to the shortened URL with direct access to the article... much easier than the log URLs the KB search creates. EG - each Article ID would have a hyperlink to:

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=<ArticleID>

PS: Please thank Greig for me... his fast responses to errors I've found has helped make the KB much more useful.

Regards,
Mike Lazarus
ACT! Evangelist

by kevin_durio
on ‎03-23-2009 11:26 AM

Hi Mike,

RSS feed is now available in the knowledgebase and works with IE 7.  The link should display to the right of your search results.   If you want to include only ACT! KB's in your feed, first search using the product filter.

Sample screen display:

ACT!-KB RSS Feed

Please let me know how this works for you.

Thanks for your feedback regarding your experience with Greig.

Kevin

by
on ‎03-27-2009 12:09 PM

The RSS only pulls down the headers for the items on the page (ie your example above will get about 20, not 722).

Also, it only has the headers, not a full feed.

I'd really love a full feed (even if it was a hidden selecion)... a fully local searchable copy being updated via RSS would be really useful for those with the hardware to host it.

Regards,
Mike Lazarus
ACT! Evangelist 

by
on ‎03-31-2009 10:43 AM

BTW: Is there a way to create an RSS feed for New or Updated articles?

Regards,
Mike Lazarus
ACT! Evangelist  

by
on ‎10-14-2009 02:49 AM

Hi Kevin,

This issue has been asked again here:

http://community.act.com/t5/The-ACT-by-Sage-Journal/Are-you-looking-for-a-quick-solution/ba-p/38374

I was just wondering if you've been able to look into it?

Regards,

Mike Lazarus

by kevin_durio
on ‎10-18-2009 06:34 PM

Hi Mike,

We can't provide the full RSS feed you are requesting.   I will make certain that this remains on our list as we evaluate tools going forward.

Kevin

by
on ‎10-18-2009 07:24 PM
How about an RSS feed for new/updated items?
Labels