Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Anatomy of an Effective Email: 9 Steps to Creating Emails that Work – Part 3 - Guest Blog by Audrey Howes @ahowes #Swiftpage

by on ‎01-31-2012 11:28 AM (3,871 Views)

by Audrey Howes, Swiftpage

In week one, we went over the email package including from address, subject line, and email preview. Last week, we talked about email length, messaging, and call to action. In our final installment today, we will cover 3 final tips to making your emails work.

7.     It’s All About Balance

Balance is a buzz word these days. For me it brings back memories of gymnastics and the dreaded balance beam. Teeter too far to the left or the right and you were falling quickly to the floor. Thankfully my gym’s ‘floor’ was a cushy foam pit. Balance is an essential quality for gymnasts and email marketers. With more and more email recipients opting to not view images immediately, we have to draw attention to our emails without images being seen off the bat. Creative use of alternative text tags on images and inclusion of text sections are essential in email design. Take a look at the example from Vistaprint. On the left we can see the email without images. Vistaprint does an excellent job of getting the message of their email across without images. In the second image below, we can see the email is certainly enhanced by images, but the message was still clear without them.

8.     Let Them Reach Out

I have gotten into the habit of repeatedly pushing zero anytime I call a customer service line. I figure if I push it enough the automated attendant will eventually give up on her prompts and just transfer me to a real person. Nine times out of ten, it works. With emails, your readers may want to reach out to a real person or at least have the option. Include easy ways for them to contact you in your email such as social media links, phone numbers, and email addresses. Also, monitor your inbox for replies from your email and respond back in a timely manner.

9.     Parting of the Ways

Every email blast you send should offer your readers the opportunity to unsubscribe. We have all signed up for email newsletters or asked to receive offers that were great in the beginning, but we may have changed jobs or moved away or just lost interest. Respect your reader’s decisions to move on from your emails. Offering an unsubscribe link is not only required by law, it shows your readers that you respect them. It also gives your reader’s an easy out and prevents them from flagging you as spam. Email services such as Sage E-Marketing manage unsubscribe for you.

So there you have! You are well on your way to becoming an excellent email marketer by applying the 9 tips we covered to your email campaigns. We’d love to hear how it goes for you!

Labels