Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 2010 and Office 2010 Compatibility

by larryr on ‎08-23-2010 05:10 PM - last edited on ‎07-28-2011 11:08 AM by (17,944 Views)

Dear ACT! Stakeholder,

A number of stakeholders have inquired as to why ACT! 2010 is not compatible with Office 2010.  I will mention in advance there is not a single right answer and recognize there are varying points of view.  I am not asking for agreement, but do want share perspective on this challenging topic.  I will also provide reference to resources that can help affected customers be successful with ACT! and Office 2010.

ACT! 2010 began shipping in September of 2009.  We provided an “in-line” update in March 2010.  Office 2010 was released for retail sales in June 2010 which was about 10 months after ACT! 2010 shipped.  During development of any version of ACT!, we carefully consider common applications and operating systems that are likely to be used by our customers.  We develop and test ACT! to assure compatibility with these in-market applications so that a new version of ACT! will work with what our customers already haveWe then list the compatible applications, operating systems, etc. in our system requirements.  Since Office 2010 was introduced so long after ACT! 2010, we worked to include full compatibility for Office 2010 (32 bit) with ACT! 2011 which begins shipping next month.

One can certainly ask why not create a patch or update for ACT! 2010?  It’s common in the software industry to sell a maintenance/subscription plan which provides new features and updates during a period, which is typically a year and can be subsequently renewed.  We offer maintenance plans for ACT! starting at $89, which provides such updates.  For example, ACT! 2010 customers on such a plan will receive comparable licenses of ACT! 2011.  If you view ACT! as a strategic part of your work, a maintenance plan ensures ongoing updates.  If you view ACT! as a point purchase and don’t expect a lot of changes you can buy without maintenance and elect to purchase an upgrade later.    

I realize there are cases where an existing ACT! 2010 user buys a new computer with Office 2010 pre-installed.  Or someone buys a new PC with Office 2010 pre-installed and then buys ACT!.   There is limited compatibility between ACT! 2010 and Office 2010.  If the order of installation and set-up was first ACT! and then Office 2010 many functions will work.  If Office 2010 was installed before ACT! 2010 you will need to apply an updated file to get to the same point.  We have an article that will help you understand what functions and what does not by going to the Knowledge Base link below.  Also, the Sage Customer Service team can talk you through options by calling 866-873-2006 .

ACT!/Office 2010 Knowledgebase article:  http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2671...

I realize this topic is causing some customers frustration and I apologize for the inconvenience  I encourage any North America customer to check out the resources above.  I wanted to explain and provide some guidance to resources that can help you.

Larry 

Comments
by
on ‎08-23-2010 06:36 PM

I think the biggest cause for frustration has been the simple lack of communication from Sage management on this topic over the past three months.

In this absence of any notice, many users (including myself) has assumed that Sage would follow the same rules they have with every Office update in the past.... that it, that the current -product would get a patch in 60-90 days.

I, like I think most users, would like to know why it's taken so long for this statement and provide some information and assistance to those with Office 2010?

Regards,
Mike Lazarus
ACT! Evangelist
GL Computing, Australia
http://Blog.GLComputing.com.au

by
on ‎08-23-2010 10:56 PM

The knowledgebase article refers to a file USPreferences206.xml however those of us in N ew Zealand appear to have a version AUPreferences206.xml. Can the xml file for Asia Pacific be included?

I agree with Mike L's question as to why it has taken so long. Sorry Sage, but you haven't practiced good customer relationship management in dealing with this.

by
on ‎08-24-2010 10:51 AM

the preferences .XMl file can be taken from an installation of ACT! 2010 which is configured for Office 2007 support - so for the AUPreferences206.xml you are welcome to use a file from another install that's working.  We'll contact AU support top provide a base file.

by
on ‎08-24-2010 11:40 AM

So Allen, just install ACT! (any country) with Office 2007, then copy the XML?

Just to check ... no difference between Standard (now Pro) and Premium?

Regards,
Mike Lazarus
ACT! Evangelist
GL Computing, Australia
http://Blog.GLComputing.com.au

Join the LinkedIN ACT! Fanatics Group - http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=49896

by DAReese
on ‎08-24-2010 01:24 PM

I am really disappointed in this news. I recently purchased Act! 2010 based partially on the comments that a hot-fix for Office 2010 would be forthcoming.

I am one of those who purchased a new PC with Office 2010 since Office 2007 was no longer available to purchase.Besides, Office 2010 is better than Office 2007.

My previous version of Act came out with a hot fix for the new version of Word when it came out. This seems like a reasonable way to do it.

MS Office 2010 was the official version of Office at the same time that Act! 2010 was the official version of Act. They should work together. I find it a bit unbeleivable that Sage would support a 7 year old version of Word but not the current version.

Purchasing 5 new copies of Act within months of buying 5 copies of Act 2010 is not something Sage should expect its customers to do. It reminds me of the time when Symantec charged for the WinxFax upgrade from 10.0 to 10.02. It comes off as cheap and uncaring about its customers.

by JillH
on ‎08-24-2010 04:24 PM

I have to agree with DAReese. That's the same thing I have been telling Sage. But apparently, their marketing executives don't talk to their site monitors, techs, or customers. It's really offensive to have to buy another copy of the product, which costs less than the upgrades, within a few months of the new product. You should at least get 6 months to go to the current version product. That still gives Sage an annual upgrade potential. Anything less is disrespectful, particularly with integration to a market share leader in the number 1 productivity application in the industry.

by larryr
‎08-24-2010 04:59 PM - edited ‎08-24-2010 05:12 PM

Thanks to all for the comments.  As I originally mentioned, I understand and expected various points of view.  I'd like to add some comments that can hopefully apply to others as well:

Communication timeliness - Office 2010 was released to the public approximately 60 days ago.  I agree Sage could have made you aware of our plans with ACT! 2010 sooner.  I take responsibility for this and apologize.

Compatibility - We publish what ACT! is compatible with.  When a version of an in-market product like Office 2010 becomes  available and we determine if ACT! is compatible we will update the compatibility list on our website. 

Precedence -  This is a very case by case examination that depends on many factors.  A common industry practice to ensure updates are received is to purchase a maintenance plan, as mentioned these are available for ACT!.  

DA Reese and JillH,  as mentioned in the original post, there is some capability with ACT! 2010 and Office 2010.  Please contact our Customer Service team so that we can fully understand your circumstances and help you.

Again, thanks to all for the comments.  I sincerely appreciate everyone's interest and comments. 

Larry

by Copper Elite Contributor
on ‎08-24-2010 06:07 PM

Hello,

I have sent a AU preff file to the US and have asked for it to be added to the knowledge base.

So there is no confusion of what needs to be downloaded

Thanks,

Kurt

by
on ‎08-24-2010 06:10 PM

Likewise, Kurt :-)

by Copper Elite Contributor
on ‎08-25-2010 03:40 PM

The AU Preferences file has now been added to KB#26713

Kurt

by Nickel Super Contributor lkamerman
on ‎08-26-2010 05:09 AM

Do we have to individually send a preference file for our region to get added to the KB?

Len

by owmaddox
on ‎09-01-2010 06:30 AM

Whatever happened to the customer always being right?    Does it take a class actin law suite like it did against Microsoft to get your attention, if so we all loose - only the lawers when.  I bet they don't even use act!   Guess I will go through amercian express to get my money back.

by larryr
‎09-01-2010 02:57 PM - edited ‎09-01-2010 03:18 PM

Dear owmaddox,

Thanks for taking my call today.  I'm glad we were able to discuss your concerns.  I now better understand your position and feel we have a good way forward. 

Larry

by JBGKIng
on ‎09-02-2010 03:00 PM

Dear Sage,

I have just bought a new i7 laptop from Dell and purchased 2010 Sage Act Pro with the system.  I am receiving the software today ahead of the system but am concerned it will not work with Microsoft Office Home and Business or Windows 7 Professional  64 bit.  If this program is not going to work with 2010 Outlook (email, calendar), Excel, etc.  or Windows 7  I want to know it now so I can send the product back to Dell.  I assumed (and you know what that means)  that 2010 Sage Act Pro would work with Microsoft Office 2010 and Windows 7.  Please fill me in on the details as right now I fell short changed.

John

by larryr
on ‎09-02-2010 03:29 PM

John,

I am asuming you are in North America.  If so, please call Sage Customer Service at 866-873-2006.  As mentioned in the intitial blog post there are some situations, like yours, where we will want to discuss options with you.

I spoke with a customer yesterday in a similar situation and had a very productive conversation.  I believe he is now satisfied.  

If you are not in North America, please contact the Sage Customer Service team locally.  if you do not have the number, let me know and I'll help you find it.

Larry

by owmaddox
on ‎09-06-2010 06:51 AM

If you are having issues I enclurage you to contact customer support.   They were very helpful and eliminated my problems.   Thanks.

by
on ‎09-07-2010 11:09 AM
Moved to Sage ACT! product discussion board for greater exposure
by bschuett
on ‎09-08-2010 10:07 AM

I followed the instructions in the knowledge base and I established some connection with Outlook 2010.  The email at this point is most important. However, after completing the steps and connecting the address book the ACT! History, under add-ins in Outlook, is set  to record "E-Mail subject and message (Recommended)" by default.

Is there a way this can be changed to "None"? By possibly making and adjustment to the preferences XML file.

Thanks

by
on ‎09-08-2010 10:38 AM

Hello bschuett,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community. Yes, you should be able to change that preference by editing the USPreferences206.xml file:

- Close ACT! all MS Office applications

- Open your Windows Task Manager, go to Processes tab and end process for Act.Outlook.Service.exe

- Open the USPreferences206.xml preferences file in Notepad

- Press Ctrl+F on your keyboard and search for historyoption

- Between the <HISTORYOPTION> tags, change the value in brackets after CDATA to NONE, so the line of code will look like this: <HISTORYOPTION><![CDATA[None]]></HISTORYOPTION>

- There is also a line of code <HISTORYRECEIVEOPTION><![CDATA[SubjectAndMessage]]></HISTORYRECEIVEOPTION> that controls the history option for incoming emails managed by Outlook rules. You can change this as well if you like.

- Close and save the preferences file

- Open Windows Explorer, browse to C:\Program Files\ACT\ACT for Windows, locate the Act.Outlook.Service.exe file, and double-click it to restart the service

- Reopen Outlook and ACT! and test

by bschuett
on ‎09-09-2010 07:42 AM

Thanks for the quick response ghollister

I performed the suggested steps above and the default still remains "E-Mail subject and Message"
After saving the XML file it does store the new values but they don't seem to carry over to the Outlook add-in.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the assistance

by keesnielen1
on ‎09-17-2010 02:34 AM

Hi, is there a EU patch available as well? Also, when I checked this file location there already seemed a XML file there with an extention.old. How come?

I refer to the patch Sage offer:

\AppData\Roaming\ACT\ACT for Windows 12\Preferences

• Locate and rename the .xml file to end with a .old extension. For example, USPreferences206.xml would be renamed to USPreferences206.xml.old.
  •  

Thanks for your help, Kees

by joe.klinkhoff@magyarinc.com
    on ‎09-17-2010 07:39 AM

This whole thing is STUPID.  Do the patch, its the right thing to do.

"It’s common in the software industry to sell a maintenance/subscription plan which provides new features and updates during a period, which is typically a year and can be subsequently renewed.  We offer maintenance plans for ACT! starting at $89, which provides such updates."    just trying to soak more cash from your customers nice mentioning the price, excellent salemanship poor customer support...

That said, is there a way to change the options for recording history to SAVE MESSAGE AND ATTACHMENTS.  Your killing me here....

by
    on ‎09-17-2010 09:01 AM

Joe,

After some testing, it does not appear to work by changing the option in the .xml file. So, if using Outlook directly, you can change it on the email message by clicking the Add-In tab on the message screen, then selecting the history option from the dropdown under there. I will do some additional testing and report back here if I find anything new.

by larryr
    on ‎09-17-2010 09:16 AM

Joe,

Would you be open to discussing your thoughts regarding customer support directly with me?.  If yes, please send me an email at larry.ritter@sage.com and I would be happy to speak with you. 

In the meantime, I hope the infor form our support team is helpful. 

Larry

by
    on ‎09-23-2010 08:05 PM
    by
    on ‎10-05-2010 01:38 PM
    by gmartin
    on ‎10-20-2010 10:11 AM
    by frankkl
    on ‎12-02-2010 02:10 PM

After reading most of the comments regarding the compatibility of Act 2010 and Office 2010 it sounds like Sage fell asleep at the wheel and ran off the road.

No matter how Sage tries to spin the reasons for the incompatibility they screwed up big time.  We are very entrenched using ACT for many years but if this is not fixed soon, we're gone!

by
    on ‎12-02-2010 02:24 PM

Hello frankkl,

We certainly understand, but as Larry stated in his original blog, there are no plans for an update for ACT! 2010 to support Office 2010 compatibility. You can get partial integration with ACT! 2010 and Outlook 2010 - details are in KB Article 26713. Please note that ACT! 2011 is now available and fully supports Office 2010.

by LeonC
    on ‎12-02-2010 04:16 PM

I agree with frankkl.  Sage has a responsibility to support ACT! 2010.  There are countless customers who have the same problem.  Added to this, I believe that Microsoft plan to stop supporting 2007 in the 2011 year, and I for one am not ready to purchase ACT!2011. 

Labels