Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 2009 Service Pack 1 - Helping you get the most out of your contact relationships

by bkohler on ‎03-24-2009 12:35 PM (8,977 Views)

We all know that your contact relationships are the most valuable thing you can manage. And part of managing those relationships is keeping track of who your customers know especially when they have referred you to some of their friends and colleagues.  In the newly released ACT! 2009 (11.0) Service Pack 1, there is a new feature called “Relationships”. This feature allows you to “link” or create relationships between contacts. For example, if Contact A has referred you to an old friend, Contact B, you can link the two contacts together and then specify how they know each other. This information is helpful when talking to either contact and in trying to secure new leads.  This service pack is FREE for all ACT! 2009 and ACT! Premium 2009 users through ACT! Update. (Help>ACT! Update). Once you have the service pack applied, you can add this feature by adding the tab to your layout. To do this, go to Tools>Design Layouts>Contact. Once you are in the Layout Designer, select “Tabs” from the Edit menu and then add the Relationships tab.  There are other great enhancements in SP1 as well. For a complete listing of what this service pack contains, search either KB ID 23645 (for Windows product edition) or 23644 (Web product edition) from ACT! Knowledgebase site.

Comments
by Copper Super Contributor pfernald
on ‎03-25-2009 02:52 PM

Relationships is a nice feature as I have a client that has wanted this for some time and we were going to have to use an add-on.  I am cleaning up their database before converting up to 11.1 and this will be a nice add.

PF

by Astute Commentator clayw
on ‎03-25-2009 06:37 PM
Great new feature!
by Moderator
‎03-26-2009 06:36 AM - edited ‎03-30-2009 09:11 AM

Move to ACT! discussion board.

Original post (jimbannon):

-------------------------------- 

I sure wish Sage would fix the major BUGS first, before trying to reach for new capabilities.

Even with the SP1 I can not effectively Export as no matter how I set the field MAP (and Save it), when I use it again (load map), the program changes the order of the fields I have selected -- placing SYSTEM fields at the top [alphabetically] before getting to the balance of my field list 9also alphabetically).  It would be nice if I coulkd save a MAP tghat remembered the fields AND THE ORDER in which I selected them when I issued the SAVE MAP command

The biggest CURRENT LIMITATION = BUG = is the program adds extensions onto file names for reports and templates after a sync <HUGE Frown>.   No wonder I can't run a simple contact report - the system can't find a file when it is named "Contact Report 2009-03-25 05-16-19.rep" instead of Contact.rep.

Layout Designer is not improved  (still can't select and expand tabs easily) and the viewing area is still limited.

Then there is the phone number field formating issue that requires me the change thousands of fields by HAND!  As I have been an ACT user since Moby **bleep** was a minnow... V2....the cummulative upgrades caused havoc to the phone field format.

No, Sage's answer is for me to buy TONS of third party sopftware to fix their known issues = BUGS!

AND, then to add insult to injury they want to SELL me tech support services.  What gumption!

Message Edited by dlunceford on 03-30-2009 12:11 PM
by Moderator
‎03-26-2009 07:51 AM - edited ‎03-30-2009 09:15 AM

Move to ACT! discussion board.

Original post (jimbannon):

--------------------------------

OH Yes,  I almost forgot.... the fact that SAGE adds additional characters onto file names means I can not BACKUP either!

Sure V11.1 is an improvement, but they have a LLLLoooooNNNNNGGGGGG way to go....

---------------------------
ACT! by Sage
The following error occurred during backup.  The backup was cancelled.

The parent's full name is too long for item : \Drive\C\Documents and Settings\Jim Bannon\My Documents\ACT\ACT for Windows 11\Databases\JIM2009REMOTE-database files\Attachments\Restain Agreement 232d927a-1776-44ae-bab5-fae3ead17f5d dc5c5fd7-f45d-49e3-a9fe-368ec316390b 129eedd7-fab6-485d-a0aa-d56560ecdf89.doc

Type: Xceed.Zip.ZippedFile

FullName: \Drive\C\Documents and Settings\Jim Bannon\My Documents\ACT\ACT for Windows 11\Databases\JIM2009REMOTE-database files\Attachments\Restain Agreement 232d927a-1776-44ae-bab5-fae3ead17f5d dc5c5fd7-f45d-49e3-a9fe-368ec316390b 129eedd7-fab6-485d-a0aa-d56560ecdf89.doc
OK   

Message Edited by dlunceford on 03-30-2009 12:15 PM
by bkohler
on ‎03-26-2009 08:38 PM

Jim,

Thanks for taking the time to write up these issues. With each release, it is our intent to retire as many in-market defects as possible. In 11.1, we did retire a substantial number of defects and I apologize you are still having issues.  If you will send me your contact details at beth.kohler@sage.com, a Technical Support representative and I will contact you about these issues. In the meantime, I recommend that we move this post to the "ACT! 2005 (version 7) & Higher" forum as that board is moderated by Technical Support and they can provide better service to these issues or future ones you raise. Talk to you soon.

by
on ‎03-27-2009 02:11 PM

Beth,

The day a mjaor software product is released with zero bugs is the day Ubuntu Linux buys out Microsoft :-)

But, for most users, 11.1 is certainly the most responsive, stable and reliable version of ACT! so far. ACT! is now, more than ever, capable of being the central repositary of a businesses contact information. With (hopefully) expected social media links and better accounting links in future versions, it should be the main reason it's users survive and even thrive through the global financial crisis.

But one issue that would be nice to get some focus on is the small SDK undocumented changes that happen build to build.

EG: Custom Tables had issues with int'l dates (fixed now) and this new one I found in 11.1 - http://twurl.nl/pebtjp

I know at least 4 add-on developers who couldn't work out why their products didn't work with the 11.1 release and then, when the change was found, had to design urgent workarounds as the users started upgrading.

I appreciate QA testing all the SDK functions each build is an impossible task, but  maybe there needs to be a way of tracking and testing the parts that might have been touched with a selection of most popular add-ons from the Sage add-on store?

Regards,
Mike Lazarus
ACT! Evangelist 

by bkohler
on ‎03-30-2009 08:23 AM

Thanks for the post. As you point out, defect-less software is difficult to achieve. However, we do have many efforts in place to test the SDK. For every release, we perform SDK compatibility testing including type / member comparisons, as well as functional/behavior testing. 

We can't predict how partners use the SDK in the development of their products which is why we engage with partners during the development process. We provide partners access to beta builds and early release candidates so that they can ensure their products are compatible and report issues to us for immediate resolution. If you are relying on a particular add-on solution, please verify that they are compatible with the latest changes and encourage them to test their solution early in the development process. 

by Silver Elite Contributor
on ‎03-30-2009 01:23 PM

Whilst I fully agree that there will always be bugs, I find it incredibly frustrating that some standard functionality doesn't work, and moreover hasn't worked for the last three or four versions.

For example, the Driving Directions in the UK version (View>Internet Services> Internet Links>Multimap Driving Directions) used to work around V7 or V8, then stopped working. Around V9 clicking the button tried to bring up MapQuest with a US map, V 10 I believe tried to open MultiMap and failed, and V11.1 has the same "Multimap Driving Directions" menu item, but when you click "Drive It!" it tries to open Google Maps and fails.

I'm sure Sage does put a lot of effort into testing prior to release, but this indicates that with a final build ready to go no-one bothered doing something as simple as clicking all the menu items to see if they all worked. Or, worse still, they spotted the problem and decided to let it go anyway.

Jeff

by
on ‎03-31-2009 04:34 AM

Beth, I think the specific issue I linked was ok with the beta, but failed in the release...

Jeff, items like the UK driving directions not working are as much down to UK beta testers not checking it as it is to Sage. You might want to add this to the LinkedIN discussion here:

http://www.linkedin.com/groupAnswers?viewQuestionAndAnswers=&gid=49896&discussionID=124339

by Silver Elite Contributor
on ‎04-01-2009 12:08 PM

Mike

I beta tested it. I reported it.

I have no idea what procedures go on at Sage before a release is signed off, but I come from a background of selling vailidatable software for the pharmaceutical industry. It has to work. We had to provide documented evidence that all the software functionality was tested and it worked (or record a non-compliance if it didn't). Sage UK were involved in the beta test. Do regional offices not do this level of testing for their regional versions?

There will always be bugs, but this is not an "environmental" problem caused by the wide and varialble range of software / hardware on users computers causing conflicts, it's just an example of something not being tested properly before release. What's more, the last three beta-tests for versions 9,10,11 plus the update releases also failed to spot the problem and fix it.

Is this a low level bug, not worth fixing? Well if it is, remove the item from the menu and the problem goes away (along with the feature). In the meantime I can't help but think that ACT! is a sales tool, and most salesmen need directions to reach their customers. So may be it would be worth investing some resources to get this feature working.

Don't get me wrong. I think on the whole ACT 11.1 is a great piece of software, but avoidable glitches like this give the impression, however wrongly, that ACT! software releases are a slap-dash affair. We don't want to give the hecklers more amunition than they already have.

by bkohler
on ‎04-01-2009 04:14 PM

Jeff,

I agree, directions are certainly important for salespeople. And the driving directions/mapping feature you mention is a great one for that purpose. I think I have found the original issue reported in beta and it says it was fixed so I want to be sure we are talking about the same issue especially since it sounds like you have had the problem for several releases now.

Please reach out to me at beth.kohler@sage.com and we can discuss this issue live. I'll also move this posting to the "ACT! 2005 and Higher" forum since that really is the best place to get issues resolved.

Thanks for your dedication to the product and for your post.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Labels