Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Comments
by Silver Super Contributor wellmet
on ‎09-15-2012 12:30 PM

Michael,

I'm actually working on a program for a client that will put in the city, county, state and longitude and latitude based on the zip code.  It also will do a radius search for any contacts in the database within a specified distance from that contact as well.  I could make it enter the data when you leave the zip code field.  Let me know if you're interested.

Stan

by
‎09-17-2012 08:26 AM - edited ‎09-17-2012 08:26 AM

This is something we are investigating for a future release. We would focus on a wider geo-utilitty view. 

Address validation, map views of lookups, lookup on radius of contact or location, lookup from a map.

Kudo if this is something you would use. 

by Bronze Super Contributor benhamilton
on ‎09-17-2012 03:49 PM

Kudo'ed. 

by Silver Elite Contributor
on ‎09-21-2012 06:40 AM

There is a" PostCode Anywhere" addon available for UK addresses which works well integrated with ACT! and I'm sure similar products are available elsewhere, but on a region by region basis I expect,  since different organisations supply the data in different regions

General problem is that access to the address data is quite expensive which means there's a cost per lookup.

For some the cost is acceptable for others it's prohibitive.

I feel a "Connected Service" coming on.

on ‎09-21-2012 07:40 AM

Jeff,

There is free data available but the quality of the free data isn't as good as the quality of the paid for data.  The data isn't that expensive when spread over a number of users but at least over here there is another issue and that is that the data is constantly updated.  So end users need to update their programs on a regular basis to get the latest zip codes, etc.

Stan

by Silver Elite Contributor
on ‎09-21-2012 07:56 AM

Interesting comment about updating data, Stan.

The Postcode Anywhere system in the UK is a live web link from ACT to their database [fill out the post code in ACT, hit a button and it presents you wuith a list of possible adresses. Select the correct one and it then populates the rest of the ACT address fields]. So you would assume (?) is as up to date as it can be.

Guess you get what you pay for in the end.

on ‎09-21-2012 09:02 AM

Jeff,

You can use a web service to update it over here too but that is by far the most expensive solution.  The least expensive is to use a free database that is usually 1-6 years out of date.  The second least expensive it to use a database that got updated recently.  The third least expensive is to use a database updated monthly and the most expensive is the solution you are talking about which is accessing a web service.

Stan

by
on ‎09-27-2012 11:41 AM

Hey, bump this one up a few Kudos, they are in the lead!

http://community.act.com/t5/Share-Your-Ideas/Zip-code/idi-p/124702

Labels