Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Comments
by
on ‎09-27-2012 11:38 AM

Why not set it to www.ourserver.com always?

by Silver Super Contributor wellmet
on ‎09-27-2012 02:56 PM

Because in order for www.ourserver.com to work from inside a company's network they need to have their DHCP server set up properly and most clients don't know how.  Sometimes it's the router that determines how an address is handled and it may or may not support allowing the redirection of an address to an internal domain.  Since most of the time we're just the ACT! consultant and not their network administrator we would need to get their network administrator to set it up so that it would work.  It's just a lot simpler to say "When you're in the office use xxx and when you're out of the office use yyy".  For example do you know what settings I need to make on my Forefront server to make it work?  Trust me when I tell you that getting a Forefront server to do something that you want it to requires someone with a lot of experience with one or a lot of reading.

Stan

by Bronze Super Contributor benhamilton
on ‎09-27-2012 10:20 PM

What Stan said. Clients where sales staff spend a day or two in the office, then a day or two on the road, they whinge about having to change this all the time.

I'd like to be able to specify two locations in the server address line, seperated by space.

i.e. 192.168.1.2 222.111.222.111

The sync would always attempt to sync to the first IP, if that fails, then attempt the second IP.

by
on ‎09-28-2012 10:20 AM

Yep, needs to happen. You otherwise need to setup split DNS - create a dns zone for the host where the database sync service resides and an empty A record to resolve to.  All that is most often not practical - customers and CCS shouldn't have to be systems people to get sync to work inside and outside a network.

by Bronze Super Contributor pauluptime
‎10-01-2012 01:14 AM - edited ‎10-01-2012 01:15 AM

I LOVE THIS IDEA of a primary, then fall-back sync address.

Simple and brilliant!

Many of our clients, indeed ourselves included will sync their remote database both from inside and outside the office.  I usually keep my external IP address set as it works from within the office too, but it does not provide quite the same speed for synching as an internal/direct sync.

If I could set the internal IP to be tried first, that would probably take only the briefest delay were it to fail when outside, whereupon the second/fallback IP would be used.

Labels