I ran into a fairly easy to fix problem with the Swiftpage search function. When I go to the E-marketing History option under the Marketing Results tab I can choose to do a search on my Swiftpage mailer results. When I open it up, it allows me to do a search for Unopened, Opted-Out, Invalid, Bounced and Duplicate emails including specifying the specific campaign. This is all good, but what I would consider to be the most important info to search for would be the contacts that opened or clicked on the email. Those are the people I really want to get in touch with afterwards. Currently, this does not appear to be possible due to the way ACT/Swiftpage orders the History Item that stores the data.
i.e. Swiftpage e-mail Score=054 Tag= Status=Opened Medium Clicks=01 Opens=02, C110310101800; Subject: March E-Mail Campaign; Template: e_March Monthly Mailer; UserID: johndoe; Inx: 26;
Due to this ordering scheme, I can only lookup contacts that opened any of my Swiftpage mailers (Search = "Status=Opened") which is not very helpful, but can't do a search for emails opened for this particular mailer as the Clicks and Opens are located between the Status and CampaignID (C110310101800). The Clicks and Opens could be any number of options and therefore wouldn't work as part of my keyword search. Looking up a Clicked email is even worse as you can't do any kind of keyword search to determine if the mailer was clicked.
However, if the History Item order was changed a little such as...
I can now do a keyword search for my particular mailer and it's Status regardless of what type due to the fact that the CampaignID and Status are next to each other and my keyword search can be continuous. By using the suggested Status types below I think you can look up all of the relevant information needed with no problem.