Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Comments
by
on ‎06-14-2013 11:22 AM

What would support for Active Directory look like?

What specific functionality are you looking for?

by Copper Elite Contributor
on ‎06-17-2013 07:09 AM

The ability for ACT to recognize Microsoft Windows Active Directory so that we can take advantage of the work that has already been completed by the IT team in setting up the user on the network and on going management of the user (with Active Directory).

Single Sign-On where the user signs into the Windows Network, and ACT just verifies that the user is valid and then what level of authority – user they are - and appropriate function is then granted.  We should not have to recreate the process of managing the user from the process of user name and password - whether a new user or an existing user in regards to maintenance needs (e.g.. password changes, etc). 

Currently the redundancy – duplication of work makes for lost time which could be better used for other Company – IT Needs.

Obviously, some other 'ACT! specific' items such as Roles and Permissions (within ACT!) have to be completed.

BUT, if there was the ability to have an ACT! user Profile that was pre-setup, and then assign that ACT! user to the specific ACT! Profile - would be a wonderful thing!  

Some creativity here would be welcomed.  I am not a guru with Active Directory - but I hear this request ALL THE TIME from the IT teams.  

by ronhoering
on ‎11-14-2016 12:16 PM

A little over three years and no update on AD intergration for user accounts and roles. That is pretty unimpressive.

by hmckinlay
on ‎11-21-2016 02:38 PM

To be a little more specific on what this would look like:

• The username in ACT! would be needed to match to a username in Active Directory
  • If the staff member's account is enabled in active directory
  • If the staff member is a member of a defined security group
  • then authentication would be allowed. 

I agree this is an important feature, and I am amazed this doesn't exist in a product that has been around for so long.

As far as implementation goes, I would say allowing LDAP(S) lookups would be the simplest method most vendors tend to be going with rather than NTLM or Kerberos which would require some pretty drastic client changes. 

A bit of a stretch on top of this which would be beneficial to larger clients, would be allowing RADIUS authenticatoin allowing a bit more flexibility around authentication and would allowing multi-factor authentication.

by RobertFrey
on ‎01-23-2017 12:09 PM

Our company is moving to Active Directory (AD) and one of the driving forces is cyber insurance which has a variety of requirements.  One of the requirements we are implementing is regular password changes.  We are also using Office365 and our AD will synchonize with it.  Having the ability to synch our Act! user IDs and passwords would be great.  Also, if someone were to separate from the company, it would be useful to be able to disable their access to Act! by disabling their AD account.

Labels