Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Option - Do Not Create History for E-mails to ACT! Users

by Silver Elite Contributor on ‎06-05-2009 11:17 AM

A big issue is that after setting up your ACT! e-mail to automatically create history you find that confidential e-mails sent to people in your own company automatically appear in that person's record in ACT!

We need a way to disable this behavior.

Quickly!

Jeff

Thanks for the feedback, Jeff. This feature is included in ACT! 2011.
Comments
by kstalcup
on ‎06-05-2009 01:21 PM

Hi, jeff:  Thanks for posting this thread.  There area couple of different ways to do this:

1.  Turn the feature off completely.  To do this, go to the Tools menu, select Preferences, click on the "email" tab and launch the "email system setup" wizard.  In that wizard, there is a pane that is titled:  "E-Mail - Record History".  Change that drop down dialog to "none" and no histories will be recorded.

2.  When creating an email, there's a drop down selection tool in the new email Window with the database to which the email will be attached.  Change that drop down to not attach to any database.

I hope this helps.

Katharine Stalcup
ACT! Product Manager

by Silver Elite Contributor
on ‎06-07-2009 03:45 AM

Katharine

I am aware of the methods you suggest, although others may not be. Youcould also set the default to Subject Line Only.

Turning off the feature would work for sure, but prevents users having some basic functionality that I believe most people wish to have. We can't really be shouting about how tightly ACT! is now integrated with Outlook then follow up with "but unless you want confidential internal emails to be visible to everyone the safest thing is to turn it off"

You can indeed elect not to save emails to history in Outlook at the point of sending, however, in the real world people forget, and secondly, Outlook 2007 contrives to hide the ACT! History controls in the Add-in Tab, which most people either don't notice or never click inside to see what it does.

I had a client this week who told me they had reluctantly turned off the Save History options because they have had confidential emails made public and they just can't risk this happening again. They were unhappy because they really want to use this functionality of ACT! 

A simple preferences tweak, with a default of "Do not Save Users Email History in ACT" would be a big product benefit.

Jeff

by
on ‎06-20-2009 03:52 AM

Jeff,

If you have anyone who needs this now, we did a plug-in for a user for this purpose... well, similar - maybe better?

Histories/Notes/Sales Ops that ONLY have users as the contacts are still saved, but are marked as Private.

It was especially tough to do this with emails as they happen in a different framework (so they can be attached from Outlook without ACT! running).... but we found a solution.

Even if the user opens the item and attempts to remove the Private flag, it gets re-added when save.

We have a few users running this (one with 200+ users)

Anything with a non-user in the Contacts field doesn't get touched.... but we could modify the rules for specific users.

by Copper Contributor inkey
on ‎10-16-2009 07:01 AM
Just delete the email addresses from the email address field of the users my-records.
by kstalcup
on ‎07-12-2010 02:59 PM
Status changed to: Available in ACT! 2011
Thanks for the feedback, Jeff. This feature is included in ACT! 2011.
Labels