Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
0 Kudos

Number and Letter Wildcards in Lookups and Queries

by Silver Elite Contributor on ‎12-09-2011 05:01 AM

I want to find all the contacts in my database in the Sheffield area by postcode.

Sheffield postcodes go from S1 ### to S81 ###

Frustratingly, there's no sensible way to do postcode lookups in ACT!

Lookup > Postcode . Starts with "S", returns spurious results, e.g. SW1 is in London.

I can try Lookup > Postcode . Starts with "S_ _", using the underscore as a character placeholder, but that just finds S1 to S9 and misses out S10 and above.

What we need is the ability to use number and letter placeholders in lookups and queries.

For example if "#" is a number and "%" is a letter, I could use..

Lookup > Postcode . Starts with "S#" to find what I want. 

In more general terms I also want to be able to do things like  lookup records where the third character in a field is a number. Is that too much to ask?

You can do this sort of stuff in Universal search, but you can't do lookups from universal search, so it's not much use.

The world uses postcodes and zip codes. It has done for decades. It's nearly 2012. ACT! should be able to handle these effectively if it is to remain a relevant sales and marketing tool.

Comments
by Silver Super Contributor wellmet
on ‎12-10-2011 09:30 PM

Jeff,

You can actually do some of the things you want to do.  You can use square brackets to limit what appears in a specific position.  So if you want the third character to be a 1 or a 2 you can use two underscores followed by [1,2].  With a little imagination you can come up with some creative ways to get what you want.

Stan

by Silver Elite Contributor
on ‎12-12-2011 04:23 AM

Stan

I didn't know about that one!

Do you know of any other non-documented search terms that could be useful?

by Silver Super Contributor wellmet
on ‎12-12-2011 07:21 AM

Jeff,

Unfortunately I think the only ones you can use are "%", "_" , "[abc]" and "[!abc]".  You probably already know that "%" means one or more characters, "_" means one character, the brackets mean one of these.  Putting the "!" before the characters inside the bracket means not one of these.

Stan

by
on ‎08-21-2012 03:01 PM
Status changed to: Available in ACT! 2010

Labels