Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Comments
by Bronze Super Contributor benhamilton
on ‎12-05-2012 02:57 PM

Or not available to managers at all. 

In my view only an Administrator should be able to make schema changes.

by
on ‎12-05-2012 03:15 PM

Ben,

I can envisage a situation where on a big site you may want to delegate authority to a skilled Manager User to define fields without giving full Administrator rights. It would be useful to have a capability of a permission expiring after X days so that the Administrator does not have to remember to remove the permission when the Manager User no longer has the need for the permission. Do you like that? Smiley Happy  

by Bronze Super Contributor benhamilton
on ‎12-05-2012 03:55 PM

Yeah, expiring permissions would be nice. 

But I think to myself, dev time to do that.... or dev time to simply remove it from managers.... all the other features I want.... mmmmm. I know what I'd prefer (less time on this, more time on other features).

By funnelling a schema change through an administrator, you force communication internally as to why this field/s are required, what benefit will the change achieve, what impact will it have(i.e. on remotes). Or at least you create the opportunity for those discussions. When someone other than a administrator has that ability, you start to dilute things, and things go astray easier.

by
on ‎12-05-2012 04:19 PM

Well yes, but they are knowingly delegating authority. Right now I would wager that most Admin users wouldn't guess that a Manger User has such capability. 

by
on ‎12-06-2012 08:14 AM

I'm ok with removing this ability from all managers. As Ben noted, changing the user role preference at a base level is simpler than adding a new database preference and would be preferrable in this area affecting a relatively small percentage of users.

Would anyone complain?

by
on ‎12-06-2012 09:02 AM

I'm OK with that

Labels