Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Have Some Fun with Ctrl + N

by on ‎05-30-2013 11:41 AM

Does some ACT! historian know why it was decided that Ctrl + N should be a keyboard shortcut to creating a new database whereas creating a new note is weirdly, F9?  Smiley Frustrated

Suggested Easter egg for ACT! 2014 - Ctrl + N creates a new Note in the History tab 

Wouldn't that be fun  Smiley Very Happy

Comments
by Bronze Super Contributor benhamilton
on ‎05-30-2013 05:13 PM

CTRL-N in outlook = new email

For it to create a new 'HISTORY' in the History tab would be fab. (I know, it's a note).

by Silver Elite Contributor
on ‎05-31-2013 04:19 AM

It's funny. We have a keyboard shortcut for an action most people will only ever do once in a lifetime and an unintuitive keyboard shortcut for somthing they do many times a day.

by Silver Super Contributor wellmet
on ‎05-31-2013 04:14 PM

I agree.  It should be changed to create a Note.  Anyone that is creating so many databases that they have to have a  keyboard shortcut for it I'd like to speak with.

Stan

by Bronze Elite Contributor
on ‎05-31-2013 04:23 PM

was told by whomever - no way - that Ctrl-N is the MS standard for NEW whatever.

it's blind devotion to MS that gets us in trouble - sure hope someone can think outside the box on this one and do it.

by
on ‎05-31-2013 04:53 PM

Stan,

Is that speak with or speak to :-)

Believe it or not we had a customer many years ago that contacted us after struggling with ACT! by themselves and they were using Ctrl + N for each new contact ! Then asked us why it was so hard to lookup people in ACT! 

by Copper Super Contributor dworral
‎06-04-2013 10:42 AM - edited ‎06-04-2013 11:23 AM

Hey Graeme,

I have done Ctrl+N in ACT! and accidentally started a new database a half-dozen times over the years because I thought the focus was in Outlook.

On Michael's point: If Ctrl+N in ACT! = New Database then in Outlook Ctrl+N should = Create New Outlook Profile.

I would describe “New Database Shortcut” as an oxymoron since, as you point out, it is done rarely. I am in favor, if we were to change it, to make Ctrl+N = New History because that is what most people would be putting in day after day.

Just the same, I don't know if I would advocate more for A: Changing it or B: Just learning it. What about a poll?

2 Options:

1) You are probably already aware that Ctrl+H = New History.

2) Tools, Customize, Menus and Toolbars, Keyboard, Contacts, on New Note or New History you can reassign the Ctrl+N as you prefer.

by
‎06-04-2013 03:26 PM - edited ‎06-04-2013 03:28 PM

Thanks dworral

Good ideas.

I was coming from the point of view of the wider impact, new users etc who are unaware of the ability to re-define keyboard shortcuts and inadvertantly creating many one record databases, inviting trouble and confusion later.

The other more subtle point was to give people an option to have a Note available in History rather than in the Notes tab. I know that there would be debate over the concept, I had thought that you could have both by assigning the shortcut to actually create the note in History view. This in itself could have repercussions from a database consistency point of view, effectively Notes in the Notes tab displaying in the History View. Alternatively, and perhaps better is to have a new item 'History Note' that was available to the History table. Leave Notes tab as it is for those who wanted a seperate tab for Notes, if you like a 'Note Note'. Smiley Happy

You could force History Notes to display at the top.

by
on ‎10-08-2013 12:36 PM
Status changed to: Available in Act! v16

Labels