Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Comments
by
on ‎05-26-2010 03:23 PM

Do you have any plugins or add-ons installed with your ACT! implementation?  Typically when you see this type of memory management error it's because an unhandled exception occurs that causes the code to stop processing before getting to the "dispose objects"  command.  Core ACT! code is pretty good about trapping exception cases and thus not allowing this condition, but 3rd party code might not account for this in your system.

by cmurphy
on ‎05-26-2010 03:26 PM
We do not have any third party pliugins.
by cmurphy
on ‎06-16-2010 09:41 AM
ACT! is actually terrible at releasing GDI handles. It's only when you close it that it releases the handles properly. However, this seems to happen when you close any program. ACT! uses more GDI handles than any program I run on my PC, and that's just when I start it up.
by snakeroot
on ‎08-09-2011 09:10 AM - last edited on ‎08-09-2011 12:17 PM by

We've been dealing with this as well for at least a year now.  I thought I read somewhere that this was an issue Act! was aware of and was working on.  This is disheartening to see that Act! is denying it's their fault.  This was also happening to us before we started using plugins.  To add insult to injury, when the GDI+ error pops up, it does so BEHIND the Act! screen, so it appears Act! has locked up, but in reality, the GDI+ error is hanging out waiting to be dismissed.  Once the GDI+ error is dismissed, Act! is responsive again.  This causes LOTS of helpdesk calls because users think Act! has locked up.  They disconnect from the server trying to fix it that way only to come back and see that it's still locked up.  They then log off the server, which closes Act!, then they log back in and have to load Act! back up only to have it do it again a short time after.  THEN they call helpdesk and are upset because they've wasted so much time logging in and out because Act! keeps freezing.  

This is a real problem.  Please fix this. 

Found where it's an acknowledged error, but with no fix: 

This is a reported issue that is currently under investigation. ACT! will still run, although you will have to close and reopen ACT! to remove Red X from toolbar area.

Using ACT! in a Terminal Services or Citrix Environment 
Version of ACT!: ACT! by Sage 2010 
Issue: 
After periods of inactivity or after several sessions of minimizing and maximizing the remote window, a Red X will display on the toolbar and the following error will occur: "A generic error occurred in GDI+" 

This is a reported issue that is currently under investigation. ACT! will still run, although you will have to close and reopen ACT! to remove Red X from toolbar area.

Labels