Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Comments
by Bronze Super Contributor benhamilton
on ‎05-27-2013 03:54 PM

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean here...

if you mean being able to schedule (via ACT! Scheduler) to more than one backup task for the same database, then 100% in agreement. Can you explain it a bit further?

I'd like to be able to schedule more than one backup task per database as that would mean we could schedule one backup task to backup only the database only (no attachments) on a daily basis, and a second backup task that backups up the database and the attachments once a week.

Coming from a background of looking after accounting firms (mighty list builders they are!) I'm a fan of the routine we used to use with tapes, Grandfather, Father, Son.

Daily tapes to do the daily backup, rotated each week

Weekly tapes to do the week, used once a week and there are 5 of these, rotated each month.

Monthly tapes to do the monthly backup, there are 12 of these, rotated each year.

and we often but not always had a yearly tape as well. This yearly tape is kept permanently.

The daily backups were often incremental (differences since last backup only), the weekly was a full backup.

The other feature I'd LOVE to see is being able to specifiy a non-local drive to put the backup file onto. As Graeme has said, virtual enviroments are often low on drive space, being able to plonk it elsewhere right from the get go would be fab.

Ben.

by
on ‎05-27-2013 07:24 PM

Yes Ben, excellent translation. I think incremental backups would be good for attachments. Why backup 99% of the attachments repeatedly, day after day.   

by Nickel Super Contributor lkamerman
on ‎06-06-2013 01:52 PM

Ben - you can plunk them elsewhere, but you have to set the ACT! Scheduler service to run as a user with appropriate network permissions.

I agree it'd be nice to have multiple backup schedules for the same DB, also for the reason of backing up to different locations.

Labels