Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Default the MERGE/COPY DATA WIZARD to INCLUDE the Targets NOTES/HISTORY/OPPS/etc.

by Bronze Super Contributor pauluptime on ‎09-27-2012 08:51 AM

When users get to the final stage merging two records into one, why would anyone ever not want to include the source record's Notes/Histories/Opps/Documents/Activities/Secondary Contacts.  Those six check boxes should be checked by default. 

Currently we just suggest users remember and type "TODASH"  but agreeably the user feedback at this point is having to do this is lame.  Cleaning up dupes is a chore enough on it's own, and really requires someone familiar with the contacts to do it... so please let's make this important operation less of a chore!

Thanks in advance from all our users.

Little extra we squeezed into Sage ACT! 2013 SP1 on the last day of development.
Comments
by
on ‎09-27-2012 08:57 AM

This task is such a pain right now. I want an automated solution that just does it!

This shouldn't require much involvement at all.

Set the criteria when you start the merge ( I want all the newest editted contacts to win, or I want any contact that has a credit card filled in to win)

Then all fields get merged (added if they are blank, dropped if they aren't)

All notes/histories/activities.... get copied to the winning record. 

Finally icing on the cake is the losing records get saved to a CSV file and possibly created as a history on the winning contact.

I'd like to see this in 2014. Kudo if you agree. 

by Bronze Super Contributor pauluptime
on ‎09-27-2012 10:31 AM

Thanks for the quick recognition of this feature request, Benjamin.  Much as I like your suggestion for a mass dupe merge, there is no need to redesign the current wizard for individual merges.  Again the model for this already exists with addons, in this case Pat Egen's duplicate merge wizard is our preferred tool.

It's important to point out that most of the time users are doing individual merges as they find them, and will want to be able to manually select the fields they wish to merge, rather than follow blind rules that are usually set before a review of the results. 

If you could please just make the TODASH default to checked then you'll be right on target and perhaps even have this feature completed in time to be bumped into an ACT! 2013 hotfix.  That would be great!

by Silver Elite Contributor
on ‎10-05-2012 01:19 AM
OK I'll ask then. "TODASH" ??
on ‎10-05-2012 05:04 AM

TODASH is a mnemonic of the letters to remember and type from keyboard at that final stage of merge/copy data, a little better than clicking on six boxes.

The request is to have all the options checked by default since the record components represented by these 6 clicks (or TODASH) are almost always desired. 

The existence of duplicate records are perhaps the most common issue in any database and even a subtle improvement (in this case removing 6 clicks each time) would help resolve a big part of database usability and value.

Sometimes its the little things that can make a big difference, not just in a feature, but also in knowing someone at Sage cares enough to make it happen.  For if the little things can't be improved....

by Bronze Super Contributor benhamilton
on ‎10-07-2012 11:29 PM
on ‎10-08-2012 05:03 AM

True, any relationships set in the source contact are not possible, and it would be great if they were (plus during other ACT! to ACT! imports/exports.)  We point this out during training but very few of our clients use the relationships feature as extensively as they do Merge/Copy data.

For now, having just the TODASH options checked by default is what everyone is clamoring for.

by
on ‎11-05-2012 08:28 AM

By default buttons are checked in Sage ACT! 2013 SP1.

on ‎11-05-2012 08:35 AM

Fantastic news, Ben.  This is the third extremely positive thing Sage has done to make our lives easier just in the last week. KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK SAGE! 

Looking forward to seeing SP1 during testing, and when released!

by
on ‎01-07-2013 01:55 PM
Status changed to: Available in Sage ACT! 2013 SP1
Little extra we squeezed into Sage ACT! 2013 SP1 on the last day of development.
Labels