Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Comments
by Bronze Elite Contributor
on ‎09-17-2013 05:41 PM

priva wrote:

It is absolutely silly (and frankly un-businesslike) to start every company search with "starts with"... can someone in SAGE please check the phone directroy of any of, say, 20 countries - see, sometimes the proper name for the company does not start with the name one associates with the comapny...

Eg. Scuderia Ferrari - go ahead, put in Ferrari and "starts with" comes up blank.

Eg. Rangom House-Penguin.. go ahead, put in Penguin, again nothing

Eg. Christian Dior SrL... and agin zippo, nada... bloody waste of time.

Every darn time you have to go to the down arrow, click "contains" and then, presto, the COMMON name finds the company.

Seems to me that 100% search success is a heck of a lot better than less than 50%.

i disagree with you BUT the choice should be sticky so that if you prefer Contains it should remember the selection.

by Bronze Super Contributor dshaw111
on ‎09-18-2013 12:53 AM

You could use the Define Fields to:

1. Select "Manage drop-down lists".
  2. Select "Create drop-down list".
  3. Enter new drop-down list name "Companies".
  4. Uncheck "Allow users to edit..." and "Automatically add..."
  5. Do not add any drop-downs.
  6. Select "Finish".
  7. Select "Home".
  8. Edit "Company" field.
  9. Check "Use drop-down list".
  10. Select "Companies" drop-down.
  11. Next.
  12. Check ONLY "Allow Mulri-select".
  13. Finish and Close.

If you now right click in the Company field it will default to "Contains" !!!

QED!

by Nickel Super Contributor scotta
on ‎10-03-2013 11:50 AM

I agree with you! 

But, as a workaround always start every Lookup with the %

This will force a contains search and save you headaches for now.

Scott Abboud

Allied Financial Software, Inc.

by priva
on ‎10-03-2013 01:06 PM

thank you dshaw111... but where is the "manage drop down lists"?

by Bronze Super Contributor dshaw111
on ‎10-05-2013 07:33 AM

Priva,

If you're an Act! Admin then you will find this under the Tools¦Define Fields menu.  You also need to be the only user logged into that database.

HTH

by priva
on ‎10-05-2013 10:46 AM

Thank you dshaw111 ... good idea BUT

1. I am the sole owner of these two Act programs they are in MY GD name (been an Act user since Ver. 1)

2. I am the sole user (Adminsitrator as well) on every darn computer

3. I do not need neo-Nazi rules for things I own, I HATE this security BS when not requested.

And - you guessed it - Tools is there but Define Fields is greyed out and NOTHING I can do will make it appear.

So? As a Platinum (well, they've renamed that too a dozen times, but we still pay top whack) Act supported member I'll have to talk to india, who will not have an answer, then 20 minutes later, get cut off three or four times reach someone in Atlanta who will tell me how to OVERCOME uncecessary Act "protections" i NEVER WANTED.

I really don't have the time for this.

But THANK YOU for the good advice, pity it cannot be implemented. And when I talked to Act 4 weeks ago, they could not help and didn't give a darn. "Good idea" they said... yeah, sure. who owns them now? I'm waiting for Sage to be sold to an Indian car company... perhaps Tata Act is yet to come?

Labels