Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Comments
by
on ‎05-11-2010 03:32 PM

The issue is not just adding tables, but adding an interface to go with it... often with various custom code.

I agree it would be nice and probably will happen... but it's  major effort to design for limited numbers of users needing it.

Pretty sure at least a couple of the add-ons can export to Excel... if not, you can connect Excel directly to the table via ODBC

Regards,
Mike Lazarus
ACT! Evangelist
GL Computing, Australia

Join the LinkedIN ACT! Fanatics Group - http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=49896

by luisr_ca
‎05-14-2010 07:42 PM - edited ‎05-14-2010 08:01 PM

There are a couple of addones that do this... but I'm with teammojo!

The ability to add custom lists or tables should be included in Act - and I would bet money that a good number of clients would end up using it!

Our company looked really seriously at a competitor and custom lists was the reason we did so.

Custom lists could be used for

- cases / issues

- helpdesk problems

- shipments

- contracts/ service agreements

- ...and I could go on!

Since there are already 3 or 4 companies making such addons it would seem to me that:

a) Sage should be able to build a similar product, or

b) Sage could license one of the existing tools & incorporate it into the product, even if it did so as an optional piece.

I think custom tables would allow Act to become THE *Customer Information Portal*  for small clients!

Luis Rodrigues

Message Edited by luisr_ca on 05-14-2010 08:01 PM
by Copper Super Contributor dflood
on ‎06-01-2010 11:43 PM

I can't seeing Sage doing this any time soon. And if they do it will be quite limited by comparison to the 3rd party custom table add-on developers who have at least a couple of years development experience on them.

One of the advantages with the add-on developers is that you can add much more functionality to the UI (layouts) than you can in ACT!. E.g. it is very simple to have a autonumber field, this is good if you want each new item to have an automatically generated unique ID.

Working with these toolkits isn't for the faint hearted, they do have there idosyncrosies. I would suggest working with an ACT! Consultant that has a lot of experience with developing solutions using a toolkit. Or at least spend plenty of time developing in a copy of your database, rather than doing it on your live DB.

FWIW, we use the Durkin Toolkit. www.durkincomputing.com.au

by spoikail
on ‎01-10-2011 01:42 PM

teammojo wrote:

Why doesn't ACT have a function where we can add Custom Tables or Lists??  We can add Custom Fields, but what if we have a whole bunch of stuff we need to keep track of on one tab.  Using Add on products for this function isn't a good answer - especially with ACT! for Web the Add on programs do not support export to excel with custom tables. How do field reps keep track of this informatin?!?!  We need it in an exportable list.

ACT! please get up to speed on this, we have over 50 users, and I'm starting to get extremely frustrated!!

+1 to frustrated. 

- You can have dropdrown lists, but they are only limited to two columns.... custom tables... maybe.  Custom dropdown lists.... verboten.

- You can have dropdown lists, but you can't import data into them, so possibly a lot of typing involved.

- You can have dropdown lists, but they won't be autopopulating  secondary fields.

GLComputing wrote:

The issue is not just adding tables, but adding an interface to go with it... often with various custom code.

I agree it would be nice and probably will happen... but it's  major effort to design for limited numbers of users needing it.

What interface would be needed? It seems like the table editor and form editors would just need to enumerate the datasource that they are being called to work with.  

With respect to a "limited number of users needing it", I think that's probably a metric that no one really has a good handle on and even if they did, it would be misleading.  Sometimes people will readily use a facility in ways they never dreamed of if just given the opportunity.  When Microsoft Access was released, Microsoft was sure that  only 20% of users would use the macro facility and almost none would use the VBA capabilities.... in hindsight, those estimations were grossly inaccurate.

FWIW: Some add-ons address these issues to various degrees, but often at a price point on a par or several times the actual Sage product.  For smaller companies, that's a bitter pill to swallow.  If an add-on company folds (sorry, but it happens), support and updates can rapidly become a point of pain.

ATB,

Sam

Labels