Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Bring Back Macros

by ‎01-12-2010 07:16 AM - edited ‎01-12-2010 08:12 AM

I have recently migrated from a very old version of ACT! to the latest 2010 premium version. Over the years I spent a lot of effort automating my ACT usage by building a whole series of macros for common functions and assigning toolbar buttons to them. Imagine my surprise when I find out I couldn't build a macro anymore with ACT 2010!

Please bring back the ability to record macros and allow them to be assigned to custom toolbar buttons and menu items.

Message Edited by ralphmack on 01-12-2010 08:12 AM
Thanks for the feedback, Ralphmack. In ACT! 2011, we've added a feature called Smart Tasks. This will allow you to create a series of activities, emails and ACT! E-Marketing actions that will trigger once the criteria you've defined in your database has been met.
Comments
by khettinger
on ‎01-27-2010 05:49 AM

I am relatively new to ACT and have just upgraded from the 2009 version to the 2010 version.  I have the need to automate some tasks and figured Macros were the way to go.  Now I see that Macro functionality doesn't exist!  New product and less functionality for the advanced user.

Certain features may have changed or are no longer available, including inbound caller ID functionality, WinFax integration, recording and playback of macros, e-mail/modem-based database synchronization, and SideACT!.

Bring them back, and quick.

by bkohler
on ‎01-29-2010 11:50 AM
Regarding macros, what are some of the things you are trying to do?
by
on ‎01-29-2010 12:03 PM

Automate repetitive tasks. For instance, I had used macros to clear a group of tasks in a specific way. Of course improving the ability to bulk edit tasks/activities may elminate this.

Anytime I found a repetitive task I would throw together a macro and save myself some time.

ALSO: I want to use macros to be able to select customized reports with a single button. The old version of ACT I used allowed me to easily add additional reports to the menus. Now, the only thing I can add are .exe files so I have to select "other reports" and then browse to the desired report. very cumbersome.

I am sure that many of my needs could be addressed directly by enhancing the product. But with Macros, I could enhance it myself.

by csylvester
on ‎03-24-2010 07:52 AM

Macros would be a great tool for many of the things I work with daily; I often enter a few dozen activities with repetitive keystrokes and then do follow-ups, having to switch to call, timeless, etc.   Saving 5 seconds (and that's conservative) per contact could easily mean 1-2 days a year.  Add to that additional tasks that are repetitive (like the one a user mentioned about why we have to start a contact in the address field) that we can tailor and streamline to the way we work/think will save additional time.  Act! can't be all things to all people and no programming is perfect--so either we make suggestions and wait for changes, or waste time doing things we don't have to, or we do macros to fit the way we work. 

by Silver Elite Contributor
on ‎03-24-2010 10:15 AM

Slightly off topic, but one issue I have is that Excel workbooks generated by clicking the Export to Excel icon disable any Excel macros you may have created previously so you can't use them. This really restricts tthe ability to shoot all you data into Excel then use Excel macros to manipulate it there.

by csolinc
on ‎05-08-2010 09:32 AM

I never used the macros - but I miss sideACT very much!!!!

-A

by kstalcup
on ‎07-12-2010 02:44 PM
Status changed to: Available in ACT! 2011
Thanks for the feedback, Ralphmack. In ACT! 2011, we've added a feature called Smart Tasks. This will allow you to create a series of activities, emails and ACT! E-Marketing actions that will trigger once the criteria you've defined in your database has been met.
by chas k
on ‎10-04-2010 07:51 AM

Sorry Katharine, ralphmack is right. Veteran ACT! users need macros. Smart tasks simply don't cut it. Not all of us ACT! users are in sales! (I am an orthopaedic surgeon). I began using ACT! with its original dBASE version using an XT computer with a 10MB hard drive.  I have created a multitude (~500) of reports and templates for my patients. EG prescriptions, office notes, orders for the hospital.  In our older versions of ACT!, my secretary, nurse, PA, and I each had a bar of icons and keystroke shortcuts to grab theses templates without having to wade through window after window of folders to find the right one. Please bring back the macro!

Chas K

by davidmj54
on ‎12-17-2010 09:59 AM

Advanced users need Macros for sure.  I use them for many things but one specific example is when I import contacts and they do not have the proper phone number format.  I created a macro that would format the Work, Home and Cell number and go to the next contact and do the same.  It would cycle 100 times.  If I had more contacts I would just do it again.

It worked great.

Please bring them back.

The smart tags are limited to just the things that theprogramer had in mind.  There is no way that the programmers can think of everything that we need the database to do.

Dave

by FlyingHigh
on ‎08-20-2011 11:03 PM

I concur with everyone re: BRING BACK MACROS.  I have tried upgrading from ACT6 on several other occasions and have always gone back to ACT6 because one reason or another.  I’m about to go back to ACT6 again.  Automating different tasks is essential if anyone has the desire to be efficient. 

Labels