Do you mean 
Comments
by luisr_ca
on ‎06-16-2009 06:43 PM

Really like this idea... with a twist

If City = Dublin then Dublin team access = Read/Write

If City = Dublin then Everyoneelse access = Read Only

Similarly:

This would allow, for example, that only people in the Accounting department for example could update "accounting" contacts (at client locations); whereas the Sales people could update Sales contacts, etc.

For example, in our company we used a "RecordType" field (custom)  that flags contacts as "operations", "sales" or "admin" (for A/P, A/R contacts, etc).  

This idea would allow only the relevant "owner" department  to update the records for their department.

Great Idea! 

Luis 

by
on ‎06-20-2009 03:26 AM

What is needed (at least for the Premium versions) is to limit Read and Read/Write access by rules (like Group Membership Rules or Sync sets)

This should not only be for Contacts, but also for fields... and even for Tabs in the layouts.

This would also sales reps to have Read Only access to most info, but Read/Write to Notes/Histories and other sub-tables.

by Silver Elite Contributor
on ‎06-26-2009 01:23 AM

I like the idea of being able to control access to tabs.

Just wondering where this would be set up. Would you have a check box in define fields that says "access control field" (or something similar) which if checked popped up a window which allowed you then select which elements of the program were controlled and protected and how? Or would you start at the component, say, a tab in layout designer, and there specify that this tab is controlled and restricted to these users or this team, depending on the value of this field?

Another thought; why not control the screen layout from the value of a field as well.

Jeff

by kstalcup
on ‎07-07-2009 09:02 AM

Thanks, DJB - this sounds alot like another feature that was posted earlier.  Is this a similar idea?

My sales force is organised into a number of teams and I use team membership to limit each team to view only their allocated range of contacts.

The problem I have is that when new contacts are added to the database I have to remember to manually update the Access List to assign the new contact to the correct sales team and 'hide' it from the other teams.

What I'd like to see is a way to automatically update Access Lists depending upon a value in a field in a similar way to Dynamic Group / Company Membership.

So, for example, if a sales person belongs to Team "A" and a new contact is created that is allocated to Team "A", the Access List should be automatically updated so the contact can be viewed by Team "A" only and is hidden from all other teams. 

by
on ‎07-07-2009 03:08 PM

Hi kstalcup,

Yes this is a similar idea - I posted this on 15/06 and there wasn't a similar post at that stage.

Thanks

David
by vineet.singla@sage.com
on ‎08-21-2009 11:40 AM
Labels