Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Comments
by kstalcup
on ‎01-14-2010 02:39 PM

Hi - can you explain a little more about your request?  There's currently no requirement for users to generate a quote when they create an Opportunity. 

by
on ‎01-15-2010 01:32 PM

When I open an opportunity I am not able to enter any dollar values in the total field. I can only get this value set by entering product names and dollar values and item numbers and quantitiies etc. 

I would like to be able to directly enter the opportunity dollar value in the total field without having to artificially create a list of products, quantities, etc. I can't use this kind of format for my quotes. Therefore, having to enter this stuff here is just a whole bunch of data entry overhead that I would rather not do.

I could very well be missing something here but I don't what it is.

Is there a way to enter a dollar value directly when creating an new opportunity?

by harrywpa
on ‎01-29-2010 07:38 AM

I am having the same issue.  How do you edit the amount once you create an opportunity?  Example:

Opportunity name: _______________

Totals__________________

Total____________

Weighted_________

How do you edit as they are greyed out?

by
on ‎01-29-2010 08:30 AM
You have to go into the product and services tab and enter data by pressing the Add  button. If you agree that you want to be able to add dollar values directly on the opportunity form, you can click on "Kudos" on the original post  to indicate that.
by bkohler
on ‎01-29-2010 11:39 AM

Total and Weighted Total are calculated values based on the products/services items on that tab. If you want to change the total, you can either add a new product/service or edit an existing one. Opportunity name is editable at any time.

by JRVoncannon
on ‎08-17-2011 10:11 AM

Yeah, It's a pain to have to do this everytime. I'm in the service industry and we do custom quotes for each of our clients. 

by JRVoncannon
on ‎08-17-2011 10:14 AM

Does anyone know of a way to just skip the product part and enter the number in manually? 

by shoutaloud
on ‎10-24-2012 03:42 PM

I think I figured out how to do it, as I have the same problem coming from ACT 2009 to ACT 2012. What a difference! At first I was confused. I only keep track of donations from individuals this way, and had "products" such as Monthly Donation 21 with no value attached since everyone's monthly donation was different. I used to add the value manually in ACT 2009. I was surprised to find the grayed-out areas in 2012 and wondered how to do it. Here's what I do now and I think it solves ralphmack's problem.

1. Go to the contact record of the person/company.

2. In the Opportunities tab click on New Opportunity.

3. Once inside the Opportunities window, click on the Products/Services tab.

4. Click the Add button to add a product.

5. You can customize what fields show up in the pop-up product screen, but I just have Product Name (which gives me a list of previously entered products), Quantity (this is important), Price, Cost, and Sub-total. The Sub-total will be greyed out.

6. Choose a product from the drop-down list. It's okay if your product does not have any cost or price associated with it ($0.00).

7. Type 1 in Quantity. If you don't, you won't get a sub-total because it will think the quantity is zero.

8. Enter the correct numbers for your situation in both Price and Cost fields (or any other fields that you have in your pop-up).

9. Click Okay. The pop-up will disappear and now you should see the correct numbers in your greyed-out totals boxes on the Opportunities screen.

10. This opportunity is now ONLY connected with the contact whose record you opened first. It is not a universal opportunity. I guess you could assign the same opportunity to other contacts if you want.

So, I found it doesn't matter if I haven't assigned a price/cost to the item in the Products list. As long as you have a name with a zero amount, you can change the amount once you've chosen the product by entering the new cost and price in the appropriate boxes. Then it transfers to the greyed out boxes on the opportunity screen. But it's IMPORTANT to add a quantity or it won't work.

by shoutaloud
on ‎10-24-2012 03:46 PM

P.S. Also in answer to ralphmack, you do have to have a product and do the "Add" process. But in his case I think you would only need one "product" and give it any name (since I don't think the name of the product shows up anywhere important) and a zero value. Then the only extra step ralphmack needs to do is click the Add under the Products tab and enter the same data he wants to enter without having to add a product. But this is the only way to do it and only requires one extra step of clicking Add to bring up the editable pop-up box.

by gmartin
on ‎10-25-2012 06:39 AM

As FYI - you can set the default for Quantity to '1' by:

click Tools

select Define Fields

select  Products

double click on QUANTITY field

click Next and set default value to 1

Labels