Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Comments
by Nickel Elite Contributor
on ‎02-16-2017 07:58 AM

If you backup manually through the software, you can choose a destination on the local computer, network resource, or external drive.  If you're using the Act! Scheduler, you can usually do this too but you need to set the Act! Scheduler service to run as a user that has access to the other resources and not Local System.

by RCJG228
‎02-16-2017 08:04 AM - edited ‎02-16-2017 08:05 AM

I tried that, and it didn't backup. I even tried doing a manual backup to my portable hard drive, and got an error message that said that a "parameter was not correct". When I called tech support, I was told that the program would only back up to the local computer, and not another location.

by rmersky
on ‎02-16-2017 08:46 AM

If your USB Drive is being recognized as a Local Drive, you should be able to do a auto backup.  If it is recognized as a network drive you have the same problem.  Check icon in windows/file explorer.  I have never figured why sometimes it is local and sometimes network.  You might want to talk to the drive support folks before buying one.

Robert Mersky

714-956-1934

rmersky@act4america.com

by RCJG228
on ‎02-16-2017 11:24 AM

I contacted tech support again and was sent "How to back up & restore an ACT database, and in it it says "It is recommended that you create the backup file directly to your local hard drive then, if desired, manually move it to an external storage device or network location." When I said that having a portable hard drive plugged into my laptop made that drive local, he said "If the cable got disconnected from the portable hard drive, then the backup wouldn't be created". He then said "ACT will not backup to a portable hard drive, you have to back up on your hard drive & then manually move it to the portable hard drive."

This is just another step that I have to remember to do, and doesn't solve my problem of freeing up space on my hard drive

by Nickel Elite Contributor
on ‎02-17-2017 07:12 AM

Hmmm.... this used to work.  

by Astute Commentator chris.slater
2 weeks ago

Act! Scheduler will back up quite happily to my NAS Drive and has been doing so for a number of years now. Whoever you spoke to in Tech Support wasn't in possession of the facts.

If you're having a problem doing this it is more likely to do with security and permissions than anything else.

Labels