Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Text is moved to top of layout after hyperlinking applied

Copper Super Contributor

Text is moved to top of layout after hyperlinking applied

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I am trying to add a hyperlink to text within a template.

I highlight the text I want the hyperlink associated with, click the hyperlink icon, paste the URL into the proper field, click submit, and then I see the text has been moved from its original location to the very top of the template with the hyperlink attached. 

I've tried cutting and pasting the text from its new location to the original location where I want it, and the text just disappears.

I've saved and reopened the template, same thing happens.

I've ensured my cursor is in the correct spot (i.e. not at the top of the page) when I create the hyperlink, no difference 

I was able to get one other word in the template to hyperlink correctly, so I know it must work and that I am doing the proper steps.

How do I fix this?

(Edited to add: I am using Act E-marketing, and I just noticed someone else posted the exact same issue on the board last Thursday.)

Mike

Bronze Contributor

Re: Text is moved to top of layout after hyperlinking applied

Are these imported templates? I just tried this on several of my templates and cannot make it fail as you described.  However, on templates I have imported every so often they get "confused" (for lack of a better explanation) and each line turns into a table. I'm wondering if the section you are editing thinks it is a table and is set to align at the top. Just throwing out ideas here.

Patricia Egen
Certified ACT! Consultant, Trainer, Developer
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Visit our Popular ACT Wizards Page Wizards Here!

Administrator

[ Edited ]

Hi Mike,

You're right, there was a a similar post recently, but that was reported as happening on the Swiftpage emarketing platform, not Act emarketing as say you are using.

Can you confirm the steps below are what you are doing to add hyperlinks to text?

Also what browser are you using to edit the templates?

2015-12-16_12-36-48.gif

Copper Super Contributor

Gary,

Yes, I am following the same steps your screen capture below shows.  After clicking the hyperlink icon in the formatting pop-up box is when the text is moved to the top of the template.

I am using IE 11.0.9600.17501

Regarding the post above re importing templates and frames....it isn't exactly an imported template, but instead the text was originally pasted from a web page and I am editing and modifying it.  The original web site text was too wordy, so have been making modifications.  The issue is happening in a new paragraph with new text I added, and also within an original paragraph and existing text.   The issue did not occur once when hyperlinking some original text, though.

Hope it helps and look forward to your thoughts....Mike   

Bronze Contributor

I bet the problem is the text that was pasted in from a website. Often, the paste will retain the underlying structure - ie. table rows, etc. When you added a new paragraph I bet it is putting in either a new table or row.  That's where needing to see what the underlying HTML looks like would be a help - which you can try to do by sending the email to yourself and looking at the source code. you can look for <td> or <TR> codes to see if each line is indeed a table row.

Patricia Egen
Certified ACT! Consultant, Trainer, Developer
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Visit our Popular ACT Wizards Page Wizards Here!

Administrator

In addition to Patricia's post, you can strip out any underlying HTML or styling, by copying the text, pasting into notepad, checking the text seems okay, then copying it again and pasting it into Act emarketing.