Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Templates using ALL ACT! fields

Templates using ALL ACT! fields

I need access to all my ACT! fields (including custom fields) when developing AEM templates.

I tried migrating from SPE to AEM (not without challenges), but I may decide to stay with SPE since I don't have access to all my ACT! fields when developing templates.  This looks like a deal-breaker for using AEM.  I'm not certain of the rationale for not making all my ACT! fields available at this time, but are there any plans to do so in the future?

Bronze Contributor

Re: Templates using ALL ACT! fields

Here's a trick that may work for you. It doesn't work on the system fields, but you can manually add field names into a template by putting the field name enclosed in double bracketts - like this: [[Equipment]]

Patricia Egen
Certified ACT! Consultant, Trainer, Developer
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Visit our Popular ACT Wizards Page Wizards Here!

Thank you, Patricia.  I have tried that with limited success on our custom fields (ie...generally doesn't work and inconsistent).  I'm sure it is a more complex request than I realize, but not having those fields available (reliably) limits the functionality of the product for us.

Nickel Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Educated guess concerning the field names: do not use the so-called "Display names" (the field names you see in the ACT! application when clicking on one) but instead the "internal field names". You can get those by running an ACTDiag report called "Field List To CSV". It will display a column called "Column Display Name" (that's the field name as you know it) AND a column called "Column Name" (that's the internal field name). Try the names used here in double brackets as Patricia describes above.

Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany
www.melville-schellmann.de
Bronze Elite Contributor

I think you could more easily find the correct field names by 'right-clicking' in that field and find what the 'Lookup' name is.

See attachment...

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Nickel Super Contributor

Then you get the "DISPLAY NAME", not the "Internal field name", which might not help....

Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany
www.melville-schellmann.de

Thanks for the recommendations...but the bracketed "internal field name" isn't working either.  I wish they would just make the database fields available instead of limiting them - much like they are available from the SwiftPage e-marketing program.  We use the company link field to identify branches of a multi-branch customer (ie... ABC Company - City").  We then customized a field to contain the "proper" company name for mailing / e-blast purposes ("Company Proper" field).  I can't use that custom field with something as simple as the correct/proper company name when trying to execute a basic e-blast.  Very frustrating!  Again...makes the ACT! e-marketing system pretty useless for our purposes.