Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Subject text and square boxes inserted into template

Copper Super Contributor

Subject text and square boxes inserted into template

Hi,

My employer sends me Outlook OFT templates to use for email blasts.  I think what they expect me to do is paste that template into individual emails to customers.  I'd rather use Swiftpage and make a template.

I've tried saving the OFT file as an HTML file, and I am able to import the file as well as the images.  However when I preview the template there is text insterted such as the word "Subject", then about a dozen little square boxes, then the subject line.  This happens even if I delete the subject line fromthe OFT file before saving, and also if I paste into Word and then save the Word file as HTML.

How do I eliminate this text from appearing?

Thanks....Mike

Copper Contributor

Re: Subject text and square boxes inserted into template

[ Edited ]

Hi mikefm101. This is another one of those things where you can't simply save something (in this case an OFT file) as HTML then simply paste it in and send it. If only it was that simple...

HTML emails always need to be coded correctly. Even if you are lucky enough to convert and send and it previews ok to you, the chances are a large number of people who receive it will just see one big mess as most email clients are fickle, if it isn't coded in a certain way it simply won't know how to display it.

As you may have seen in other posts, email marketing is a service I offer and of which I deal with on a daily basis. Generally, I simply don't have the time to sort things for free but as it happens, if you want to send me this OFT file or post it here I'm happy to take a look for you and sort it. That said, to do it 'properly' it may mean creating a correctly formatted HTML template. From there, you can keep that and just edit it for any future email campaigns.

But I'm happy to take a look, you've caught me on a quiet day Smiley Happy

Copper Super Contributor

Thanks for the offer, but won't trouble you.  It seems to be happening repeatedly as I try some other templates out, then in some it disappears.

I've downloaded Kompozer which may help after doing some Googling on the subject.  Googling also revealed what you are talking about vis a vis viewing the source code in an HTML file and editing that. 

The Swiftpage tool seems has some odd behavoir which isn't helping.  I don't see doing these quickly in the future. 

Mike   

Copper Contributor

Hi,

sure no problem. The offer's there if you need it.

I haven't heard of Komposer but it looks like a type of free version of Dreamweaver so I'm sure that will help you view the html and look into editing it. Give it a go and let us know the results.

I see posts similar to yours from various people on this forum and get asked similar types of questions all the time but the thing is you can't just convert to HTML then edit it, it still wouldn't be written correctly. I blame the software as Word shouldn't offer the option to save as HTML as for professional purposes and for actually using it online, it isn't good enough and is, at the very least, bad practice.

There are webpages and there are email templates, both of which are entirely different. I would guess saving from eiher OFT or Word to HTML would give you very basic HTML which wouldn't suffice 'as is' for even a very simple webpage, let alone an email template.

I have only used the swiftpage account area for importing a handful of templates then setting up various smart tasks to trigger them and I had no issues so I would lean towards the issue being with the code itself from what you;ve said.

as I've said, if you wanted me to take a look then the offer's there.