11-04-2019 09:50 AM
Hi. I had installed ACT Connect initially, couldn't get it to work and then got an SSL certificate on my server and the api webhosting working properly.
When anyone logs into ACT from a web browser, the UPWARD_API_STREAMER url is replaced with https://4xxxx.g2c.cloud-elements.com/act.web.api This keeps coming back from nowhere. I can't find this url in my APFW folder or web.config or anywhere else. Is it being pushed down from the emarketing server?
Is there a trick to removing act connect? Does it leave some files or settings behind? I looked but can't find any.
12-09-2019 09:40 AM
I know you posted this a month ago but there is a KB article that may help:
You can use the batch file to manually change the API.
12-09-2019 10:16 AM
2 weeks ago
A bit late to the game here with this reply, but I figured I'd mention it in case someone else was curious about this.
I believe this setting gets placed in the 'Act!.exe.config' file located in C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Web (or Act for Windows).
You can edit that config file and look for the value that is likely sitting in there, or you could also find the default 'Act!.exe.config' file that is located in the extracted Act! program files folder, typically found here:
C:\Act!_Web_v22sp0x205 (or whichever version you are using)\ACTForWeb\program files\ACT\ActInstallDir\
Find the 'Act!.exe.config' file in the install directory > Copy it > Navigate back to the C:\Program Files\ location and paste it in there, replacing the problematic config file you are trying to edit.