Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How Does Subscribe/Unsubscribe Functionality Work?

Copper Contributor

How Does Subscribe/Unsubscribe Functionality Work?

So we have previously established groups of contacts that have agreed to receive our email newsletter.  We identify these clients through a field we call "Communication".  Any contact record that has "Newsletter" checked ON in the "Communication" field is automatically in the newsletter group.

However, we are a little confused how this works with the subscribe and unsubscribe functionality in EMarketing.  Do we have to keep track of our subscribers somewhere in EMarketing instead of the way we are currently doing it? Is there a way we would add our previous group of newsletter subscribers to EMarketing as current subscribers?

I also wanted to know if there's a way of being notified of people who have subscribed and unsubscribed.  Any details on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Copper Contributor

Re: How Does Subscribe/Unsubscribe Functionality Work?

In addition, is there a way to add our own logo to the unsubscribe confirmation screen.  Here's a screenshot of what people now get when unsubscribing from our newsletter:

unsubscribe.PNG

Rather than the Act EMarketing logo, I would like our logo there.  

Thanks

Bronze Super Contributor

There are 2 new fields - AEM Opt Out and AEM Bounce Back which you can put on your layout.

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Bronze Contributor

The way you have defined your contacts who want the newsletter is fine. It would be a good idea to create a group that is based on that field and send your newsletters out via that group.  act emarketing calls the unsubscribe "opt-out" - it does not have the ability to have different newsletters that people can choose to receive or not receive - it is one or the other.  And you cannot put in your own logo on the unsubscribe.  What I often do is Add a link of my own to a page on my website where they can unsubscribe via a form.  It gives me a little more control. The idea on the eMarketing side of the house is people no longer want to receive any emails which may not always be the case. I think it would be a good idea to post this suggestion in the Share your ideas forum here. The more people that ask for this the higher it moves up the development food chain. 

Patricia Egen
Certified ACT! Consultant, Trainer, Developer
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Visit our Popular ACT Wizards Page Wizards Here!

Copper Contributor

So if we use the emarketing opt-out functionality, how do we know which users have unsubscribed or requested to unsubscribe?
Copper Contributor

Thanks Patricia... There are definitely some room for improvements here. We have been using Mail Chimp up until now... Wish there was a plugin for the Web Based version but given there isn't, we are considering just using the built-in emarketing functionality in the hopes they'll make the necessary improvements.
Bronze Super Contributor

Hi Jagstyles,

To find out who's Opted Out or Bounced just go to Emarketing | Lookup | Opt Outs or Bounces.

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Copper Elite Contributor

These 2 fields are Check-box fields in act and can be added to your layout.  I just discovered this today and was pleasantly surprised.  You cannot right click on them to do a search, but you can find them via the traditional look-up.

I think this is a great improvement.  Good job!

Tony Holowitz
Arlington (Boston), Massachusetts
781-728-9777

www.tonytheteacher.com
www.365ActTips.com
www.TeachAnOldDogNewTricks.com