Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Contact Field for email Template

Contact Field for email Template

Just started using ACT emarketing and have modified one of the stock templates to use it as a basic email / letter.

Is it possible to insert a field like you would in a email mail merge situation?

Dear <contact> or something like that.

Administrator

Re: Contact Field for email Template

Hi Matt,

Yes, this is possible!

When you're in text edit mode, click to place the cursor in the area you're editing, and select the mail merge menu on the right. See the screenshot below for reference:

2016-01-27_16-53-44.png

The merge fields appear between two square brackets. i.e. [[First Name]]

Bronze Super Contributor

Although the drop down doesn't include the Salutation field you can use this by replacing the merge fields appearing between two square brackets. i.e. [[First Name]] with [[Salutation]].

HTH

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Copper Contributor

Great tip, I was just about to ask if its possible to use the Salutation field since it doesn't show up in the dropdown menu, great tip!

Thanks

my next challenge will be working out how to include it in a custom html imported template.  

Would be nice if you could export out a template in HTML, do a few changes and drag it back in.

I suppose you can do it from an email test.  

Dave Shaw what about if my field isnt in that drop down list.  I want to put in a custom field I have in my DB.  

I tried simply putting in [[Custom field name]] but that was never going to work.  

I guess i need to tell my ACT DB that a particular custom field needs to be included in this emarketing thingo.

Anyone know where or how I do that?

Bronze Super Contributor

Sorry Matt but I don't know how to do that but would like to find out.

Good question! The 'elephant in the room!'

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Administrator

Hi Matt,

Custom fields are not currently supported as mail merge fields in Act emarketing. This is a popular feature request which has already been submitted our ideas board. You can see the idea and vote on it here.

Seems to be a no brainer.  Why was it not in the original version?  So people need to vote to get it in.  What's going on.  Some election or something.

Administrator

[ Edited ]

We have a 'Share Your Ideas' board where users can suggest new features or improvements to the software. The Product Management team use this a resource for gauging popularity of the suggestions from the community, as other users can give the ideas kudos which they use as an indicator to help plan product improvements.