Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Confused How Opt-Out Works

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Confused How Opt-Out Works

I'm still a little confused about how the Opt-Out functionality of Act Emarketing works.  Someone receives my newsletter, they select the Opt-Out link at the bottom.  It confirms they have been unsubscribed.  Now what happens in Act? Are they removed from the group they were in? Do I have to manually go to the Emarketing - Lookup - Opt-Out list to see how chose to opt-out and if I check that list 5 days after sending it out and manually remove them from the group, what happens when someone else chooses to opt-out after that date?

It seems there's no way to accurately track and reflect people who want to unsubscribe unless i've missed something here.

Please help!!

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author JagStyles
‎03-01-2016 08:19 AM
Administrator

Re: Confused How Opt-Out Works

[ Edited ]

Yep, exactly:

Act!_2016-03-01_10-52-43.png

This will return all contacts who have not opted out of your Act emarketing campaigns, and who have not had a campaign email bounce.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Administrator

[ Edited ]

Hi Jag,

Good question!

The Act Emarketing opt-out list is automatically maintained behind the scenes on the emarketing cloud server. It works like this:
If a recipient of a campaign email chooses to opt out and clicks the link at the bottom of the email, they will see a confirmation and be offered the option to resubscribe. Their email address will then be added to the opt-out list in the emarketing cloud. The next time you come to send a campaign, the entire list of your selected recipients will be checked against the opt-out list on the emarketing cloud, and if any of the recipient addresses are on this list, they will not be sent the email.

At any point after a recipient has opted out, you can click the "Update Email Campaign History" option under the Emarketing menu in Act, and then perform a lookup of opt outs from the same menu. This information is a snapshot of the data stored on the emarketing cloud server for your account, and is provided as a convenience to view the opt out status of your contacts.

Even if you have not updated your email campaign history in Act, and you send a campaign to a group of contacts which may include those that have opted out, only the recipients who have not opted out will receive the email. Emails to opted out contacts will be suppressed.

We recommend you remove the opted out contacts from your campaign groups so that the contact history tab does not unnecessarily record sent campaign history, not for managing whether or not they will receive your campaign emails. We handle this for you.

Hope that clears things up for you!

Bronze Super Contributor

What we do is to include the false Opt Outs and Bounced fields in the Dynamic Group criteria for the email list so that they are automatically not included.

HTH.

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Copper Contributor

Hi David,

That sounds like it could be a perfect solution for us.  Can you quickly walk me through the process of how you set that up?  Are you saying there's an Opt-Out field that is tracked in Act and I would simply include that field in my group (dynamic fields) criteria?

Solution
Accepted by topic author JagStyles
‎03-01-2016 08:19 AM
Administrator

[ Edited ]

Yep, exactly:

Act!_2016-03-01_10-52-43.png

This will return all contacts who have not opted out of your Act emarketing campaigns, and who have not had a campaign email bounce.

Copper Contributor

That's a beautiful thing!! Thank you!
Copper Contributor

Actually, when I added those filters to my group, it is still showing one contact who opted-out. Any idea how this would happen? When I pull the campaign report in Act Emarketing, it shows as her having opted out. When I add the filters above, she still shows up in my group.
Administrator

Have you updated Email Campaign History from the Emarketing menu?
Copper Contributor

That did the trick. I guess best strategy is to run this update just prior to sending the next campaign so it has the most recent data correct?
Administrator

Exactly. This pulls the most up to date info on your campaign and saves it to the database.