Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Apostrophes in Emails are "Invalid" via Swiftpage

Apostrophes in Emails are "Invalid" via Swiftpage

I have a large database for an international company. We have emails that have apostrophes. Apostrophes are valid in email addresses as long as they are before the @ sign. Swiftpage is unable to send out to these emails. This is definitely something that should be addressed - these are valid emails for prospective clients. Please let me know how to address and escalate this issue.

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Apostrophes in Emails are "Invalid" via Swiftpage

I didn't know that apostrophes were valid in any part of an email address. Is that in an RFC?

Bronze Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

wow. I just learn't something.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3696 see "3.  Restrictions on email addresses"

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2822 also has some relevant info.

Bottom line, per the RFC, apostrophes are allowed in the local-part of an email address (that is, the part preceeding the '@').

Doesn't help the orginal questions, but at least it's confirmed it's 'legal'.

Edit: Just found a more easlily understood link for the less technically inclined: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/69f393aa-d555-4f8f-bb16-c636a129fc25/what-...

Tuned Listener

i don't think it is good idea to use swiftpage to email.

That's the whole point of using Swiftpage with ACT!....

Yep, I wasn't aware until I was getting bounce-backs from emails with apostrophes. We tested it and put one in my email on our local server, and voila - it sent. Swiftpage techs tell me that it's an Exchange server issue...I'm just not convinced that this issue can't be resolved.

Bronze Super Contributor

I've not tested Exchange, but the MS link I posted above says in part:

...Contrary to the relevant standards, some defective systems treat certain legitimate addresses as invalid and fail to handle mail to these addresses. Hotmail, for example, refuses to send mail to any address containing any of the following standards-permissible characters: !#$%*/?^`{|}~

Thus, it *might* be exchange causing an issue. 

You can't stop people for using those char's because they are in fact ok to use per the RFC, however, I'd strongly advise against using them. 

Is anyone from Swiftpage able chime in as to what their system does and doesn't allow, and if possible why those decisions were made?

Swiftpage's tech department has stated that the system will consider any emails with apostrophes invalid. (They're showing up on my suppressed list.) They suggested that I get an alternate email address, which would really be pretty impossible; this is their employee email and they have an apostrophe in their last name. The page that the Swiftpage guy sent links explanations from Exchange server 2000 and 2003. Is this really impossible? 

Bronze Super Contributor

I suggest two things:

1. Advocate with Swiftpage for them to support the RFC.
  2. Get the employer to change the employee's email address.

Whilst it's allowed by the RFC, it isn't allowed by many products. Do you really want to blaze a trail on the path of righteousness? Please do (Smiley Happy) because it'll advance the current state of play. But if you got a problem with one, you're then going to have to take up the same fight with the next product and the next. It's WAY easier to change an email address. Using an apostrophe is NOT common use. I've been in the IT game since '95 and this thread here is the first I've heard that it's allowed by the RFC. This isn't a common problem. However, with internationalisation efforts and more char sets being in use, I can see that this might become a more common problem.

I'm all about championing a cause. I do think, however that this answer from Swiftpage's tech has holes. It's not exchange servers on the other side. I'd love to know what would happen if they allowed apostrophes in the pre@ sign area - if that would truly cause so much of an issue. The logic is just flawed; someone with an exchange server wouldn't issue an email address with an apostrophe. So logically, how does this mess with Swiftpage's end?

Yes. I'm taking this one on. Any other thoughts are welcomed.