Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Act eMarketing: Distorting Custom Uploaded Templates & Custom Images

Copper Super Contributor

Re: Act eMarketing: Distorting Custom Uploaded Templates & Custom Images

Hey there, any chance to take a look again?

Copper Contributor

Hi, yeah I've been rushed off my feet. Typical really just as I offered to take a look!

I shall have a look tonight definitely and get back to you.

Copper Super Contributor

great thanks!
Copper Contributor

Ok, I've looked now. I've just sent myself an email through Mailchimp using your code 'as is' and it appeared fine in gmail as far as I can see? (ignore the mailchimp footer at the top, that's just picked up from my account)

See screenshot here - gmail

Now with the Outlook webmail (which is basically just an online version of Outlook so all same rules etc.), as I mentioned previously the images didn't load so it looked like the below

See screenshot here - Outlook webmail

But after allowing the images and getting them to appear, it all looked fine again.

With Outlook blocking images by default, there is not much you can do about that. Anyone that is internet savvy will change that setting but it isn't anything to worry about, anyone who has ever worked in an office with Outlook knows that when an email arrives like this they need to click 'show images' - thats just normal.

Gmail never blocks anything by defaulty so that's fine too.

Other than that, it previwed in Mailchimp correctly.

So in terms of the code, you need to learn to use as few images as physically possible. If you can write the whole thing with css, even better! With your top image for example 'Reduce your workspace spend...', this is one image but can be done with pure css with the only image being the piggy bank on the right. This means for Outlook users, they will see the entire orange strip with the text, the only image that won't load by defaiult is the piggy bank but as you can see you have already got your message to them as soon as they open it. If an email uses lots of images, Outlook users will see barely anything when opening so if they choose to close that straight away, you will never have caught their attention.

Dreamweaver is throwing up quite a few coding errors too, most probably because of missed closing <div> tags and it looks like your closing form tag ( </form> )may be in the wrong place. I haven't spent too long going through the code as that's a paid job really. Small coding errors like this can cause layout issues once the email hits an inbox too. Emails need to be 100% perfect just in case it is going to a client that will throw a wobbly if you miss a backslash somewhere!

So as it stands, other than the div tags and the coding errors, it actually looks ok to be in 2 different email clients.That's not to say you don't need to sort the errors, you do need to do that before sending en mass.

I can't comment on where the divs are from, perhaps they have been picked up in a footer or similar added by Act? I'm not sure as not used act email marketing properly yet. Also I cant comment on why it doesnt preview perfectly for you in Act emarketing as it's fine in Mailchimp.

Any questions, ask away Smiley Happy

Copper Super Contributor

Thank you for taking the time to look! I will re-evaluate our code and look to ensure we have the correct <div> tags and the </form> inserted. Though, we feel Act is inserting some extras. 

Cheers, B

Copper Contributor

Hi, you shouldn't have any div tags in there. You should only use tables for html emails.

It could be that as you have given me a snippet of the code from the Act preview, at that point Act has added something to the code.

I couldn't say for sure without seeing your full code (before you inserted into/uploaded to Act)

<form> and </form> are there but there are lots of errors in your code. Most probably, even though they are highlighted as having issues, the actual problem could lie anywhere in your code. You'll just have to spend time to look through all of it. I would look through your original code though (as in when you created the template originally) and not this you sent me as there is allsorts of stuff in there, a lot of which seems to be there for no reason that I can see.

Trying to 'clean' what you sent me is a waste of your time I would say as you won't know what's yours and what's from Act.

I would be tempted to start again if I were you, it may be quicker!

Solution
Accepted by topic author dimstersf
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

One thing I would say is if you are not sure exactly what you are looking at or have no guys in your organisation that do, don't attempt to 'wing it' and do it yourself. 

You are presumably targeting potential clients/customers so it needs to be done right.

Sure, this is what I do for a living but this isn't a sales pitch from me. I would advise getting someone in to do this for you.

Of course, if you do have the knowledge within your organisation then great, you should be sorted as this shouldnt be difficult for them!

Nickel Super Contributor

Images and importing custom templates can be tricky.  Ideally you start with a template in whatever system you're using, but if someone else is doing the design work or you get your marketing collateral from "head office" then you may need to import.

I'd be curious if you get any better mileage out of MailChimp.  Act doesn't support it natively, but there's a $99 one-time purchase of an addon from Exponenciel that does a great job.

Best,

Len

Len Kamerman
ACT! Certified Consultant

Act E-mail Marketing Trainining Course:

http://actsoftware.training
Copper Super Contributor

Thanks, but our director will not allow us to switch services (much to my disdain).

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Hi lkamerman, the problem with that mailchimp plugin is it isn't very intensive at least for our needs.

If I was using Mailchimp with Act I would require to be able to create smart tasks by choosing our Mailchimp templates but it doesn't integrate as far as that unfortunately.