Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Uploading files

Platinum Elite Contributor

Uploading files

I think it would be a good idea if the site allowed the uploading of images (screen shots) or text files (event logs, code snippets, etc)

If there is a way, I think I'm missing it
Champion Listener

Re: Uploading files

[ Edited ]
Mike,
We have disabled the ability to upload attachments for the launch of the community. The capability is there, but we are taking a wait an see approach as to whether we turn this on.

A few thigns to note:
  • You can include an image in the community by using the image link in the message editor. The image does have to be externally hosted though. for example:

• as far as text files, event logs, code snippets... just include them or a portion of them in the message. This way a user can search on the context of the actual text.

I am currious if other members have an opinion on whether attachments would be benificial and why. Please let us know.

Neil

Message Edited by neil_beam on 01-30-2008 11:40 AM

[ Edited ]
The problem with the images being external is that most ACT! users would not know how to do this Smiley Tongue

Another useful feature would be the ability to quote the message you are replying to... and have it auto high-light in the reply. When replying to long threads, or even a single post with many seperate items, it can get confusing.

Message Edited by GLComputing on 01-31-2008 06:57 AM

GLComputing wrote:
The problem with the images being external is that most ACT! users would not know how to do this Smiley Tongue

Another useful feature would be the ability to quote the message you are replying to... and have it auto high-light in the reply. When replying to long threads, or even a single post with many seperate items, it can get confusing.

Found the quoting option... not as great as I'd want, but it'll work
Champion Listener

I see... This is an option when you write your post. The "Post Quote" toolbar button is right next to the Smiley icon.

neil_beam wrote:
I see... This is an option when you write your post. The "Post Quote" toolbar button is right next to the Smiley icon.

Yup... especially in large threads where you might nopt be replying to the last post, this can be a help

I agree and believe that the capture of a screen shot is the most productive way to document an issue back to development.  Typically I captur ethe shot and place it in a word file then cut and paste as required later.  You can also use paint if you wnat to crop the screen shot for further understand of the issue.  I have sample waiting concerning loading problems of the code as well as SQL db.

Jim Orgill