Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Private Messages

Platinum Elite Contributor

Private Messages

Two suggestions regarding the Private messages function:

1. That the site send an email when you have a message (maybe a Profile option)
2. That you can request in the Community Rules for users to not send technical requests via the message section unless requested to... it's better for most issues for th user to post to the boards
Copper Contributor

Re: Private Messages

Thanks for the suggestions. Smiley Happy

Sending emails when you receive private messages is definitely on our list of enhancement requests.

The Community Guidelines are a work-in-progress at this time and I will add your suggestion to the list of items to discuss. Since you answer so many questions and members see you as a very helpful poster, I expect you'll always get some unsolicited PM questions. I suggest that you use the Macros feature in your profile to type up a standard reply asking members to please post their question to the forum, so that you don't have to write it anew each time.

Thanks for the macro idea... I'll have a play.

I have a large set of boiler plates in my news reader that I have used in webx.act.com, but as the macros here are limited to 9 I hadn't decided which will be the most common ones to include. this would be a good one

I just had a look and I nearly missed it. The pop-up for messages is just a but small and you have to expand it to see the Macro option... maybe this Java pop-up could be made a bit bigger or even full-screen?
Copper Contributor

GLComputing wrote:
I have a large set of boiler plates in my news reader that I have used in webx.act.com, but as the macros here are limited to 9 I hadn't decided which will be the most common ones to include. this would be a good one

I just had a look and I nearly missed it. The pop-up for messages is just a but small and you have to expand it to see the Macro option... maybe this Java pop-up could be made a bit bigger or even full-screen?

For the first point, the number of macros is an easy community option change. I expect I'll need more than 9 myself, so I'll add that to my topics to bring up with the other moderators.

Not sure about the java pop-up size. I'll have to look into that. Smiley Happy

Re the pop-up, open the inbox and click reply... can you see the macros option without expanding the window?

Other useful message options as more data gets there would be folders and searching

Thanks for your interest in these suggestions.

I have been posting regularly to on-line forums on ACT! since they created Compuserve forums in 89 (I think) and can be found still on Experts-Exchange, itToolbox, Tek-Tips, webx.act.com and others. I was also researching doing something like this myself from mid last year till Sage did theirs... so I've got a a lot of ideas on what I believe works.
Copper Contributor

GLComputing wrote:
Re the pop-up, open the inbox and click reply... can you see the macros option without expanding the window?

I think the default is set this way since few members use macros and it is set for them.

I don't use a typical configuration, but I do see that I can't see the whole macros box in either FF or IE. I often read the forums in FF with the IE tabs plug-in. Until we update the graphical editor for FF (soon), this lets me use FF, which I prefer, while still giving me the graphical editor. When I use this configuration, and click on the PM box, it opens it as a full browser window, which I like. Smiley Happy

Users will be less likely to use Macros unless they see the function there :-)

Re Browser support, I'd like it to display better on a Blackberry or other smart phone ... or, better yet, the ability to reply to a subscription email via email and have it post as a reply. itToolbox.com does this really well.