Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Moving a remote database

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Moving a remote database

I'm using Act! Pro Version 17.0.151.0, Hot Fix 1.

It is installed on my main (home based) business laptop and I also have a remote copy on my ASUS travel laptop.  I just bought a new Surface and want to install it on this one also.

I need help on how to install it as another remote database on my Surface.  Not sure I can legally do it as the license states 2 computers only?  I'm okay with removing it from ASUS and moving it to the Surface. 

I have read these 2 knowledgebase articles but I'm just not sure what to do: 19817 & 19818  

Any advise would be appreciated, and help on what to do next.

Thanks in advance!      

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lorenjw
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Silver Super Contributor

Re: Moving a remote database

Go to this link and download the SP2 update and install it manually.  Check using Help and then About to make sure you download the correct version.  You will probably need the version for Act! Pro v17 but you might have purchased Premium.

http://www.act.com/support/download-center/

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Silver Super Contributor

Create a new remote from the Main computer and call it something different than you called the first remote.  Then restore that remote on the Surface.  The two device limit was to prevent users from creating remotes and letting other people use them.  If you are the primary user of all three machines no one is going to get upset about you having three copies of Act! installed.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com

Hi Stan,

Thank you for the reply and instructions.  Do I click on file and select move database and select prepare a move to another computer?  Then follow prompts?

If not any details on how to start the process would be appreciated.

Loren

Silver Super Contributor

Follow the instructions for creating a remote database in KB #14116.

Stan

Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com

Okay, I was able to move it to my Surface however now it won't sync because when I loaded ACT on my surface a newer (updated) version installed 17.2.217.0  When I click on sync a window pops up and says:  "Sync has failed. The remote database is using a different ACT! version than the main database.  Contact your admin for assistance."

I just did an update on my main database but it loaded 17.1.169.0, Hot Fix 3

Any ideas?  This is so frustrating......

Oh, BTW my main datadase is running windows 7 Pro, and my Surface is running windows 8.

Solution
Accepted by topic author Lorenjw
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Silver Super Contributor

Go to this link and download the SP2 update and install it manually.  Check using Help and then About to make sure you download the correct version.  You will probably need the version for Act! Pro v17 but you might have purchased Premium.

http://www.act.com/support/download-center/

Stan

Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com

Okay, I do not have Premium.

Do I install SP2 on both computers?

I only did the SP2 update on my main database and now the sync works! 

Do I need to do the SP2 on the remote database?

Thank you so much for your help, I sincerely appreciate it.

Silver Super Contributor

Yes.  You should update the other remote.  It is usually a good idea to run the same version of Act! on all the computers accessing the same database or a remote from that database.  Now that you have updated the main database you probably won't be able to sync the other remote until you update it.

Stan

Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com