Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Friends List

Platinum Elite Contributor

Friends List

It would make this function more "friendly" if:

1) It asked the person you're trying to connect to if they want to be your "friend"
2) You could see a list of those people who have added you as a friend
3) You could suggest the types of Private Messages you are willing to receive from "Friends"
Copper Contributor

Re: Friends List

GLComputing wrote:
It would make this function more "friendly" if:

1) It asked the person you're trying to connect to if they want to be your "friend"
2) You could see a list of those people who have added you as a friend
3) You could suggest the types of Private Messages you are willing to receive from "Friends"

1) You can add friends for a variety of different reasons. One easy one would be so that you don't need to type in their names when sending them private messages. You can also control privacy with friends - choosing to allow friends only to see your email address, online status and profile information. Since different members use it for different reasons, we didn't want to put members in the position of having to turn down someone as a friend.

2) This is a feature enhancement that is on our list. For now, you can look at any member's public profile and see their Friend's list. 

3) Can you provide an example? I can pass that idea along, but specifics would help. Where on the board would you like to see this implemented - when someone is sending you a message, in your profile, etc?
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Friends List

1. I change the Privacy setting to allow Friends to see my email... although most I've added already have it. But as it auto adds anyone you reply to, it's open to problems. I guess the use of this function will develop over time?

2. At this time, I guess the only reason to add a friend is so you can message them?

3. If you use LinkedIn, at the bottom of a Profile, you'll have a section like this. Maybe in the Profile and a pop-up when you add them as a Friend, which they need to do before sending a PM?

Give people advice on how you want to be contacted.

Interested In:
  • career opportunities
  • new ventures
  • expertise requests
  • business deals
  • reference requests
  • getting back in touch